Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Any thought's on this Wouxun KG-1000G

I know most People on OB Use Ham and I intend to once I'm Licensed, I also run with alot of people just using GMRS. Is a Fairly new radio Looks like a good one Little spendy at over 300.00. any Opinions?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
it’s a Chinese radio, rebranded from on of the big 3, a Motorola is half the price with an antenna... in the end, it’s still a GMRS radio...

Get your ham license, buy a Yasue FTM-350 or FTM-400XDR for a hundred more and get it MARS/CAP moded and you will have a 2m+GMRS frequencies in one radio.

Reactions: k9sar

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I don't have alot of Knowledge of Radio's using only CB's Mostly so I could be wrong but isnt MARS/CAP Military??

I also don't think the Wouxon is a Rebrand seems Completly new to me.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't have alot of Knowledge of Radio's using only CB's Mostly so I could be wrong but isnt MARS/CAP Military??

I also don't think the Wouxon is a Rebrand seems Completly new to me.
Yes and no... they are on the edge of the 70cm band just like the GMRS frequencies. And yes Wouxon is a Chinese brand, it’s been around for a few years, and yes the radio you linked is a rebrand from one of the big 3

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

would carrying a GMRS & Ham Radio be better than Ham with MARS/CAP, How ever you make that work!!!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

would carrying a GMRS & Ham Radio be better than Ham with MARS/CAP, How ever you make that work!!!
You would be more legal running two separate radios but you would also have to mount two separate radios and antennas.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Technically the mod is intended to allow hams to communicate with military personnel on military frequencies when MARS use to help soldiers contact family members back home and to "help" support military missions. But in todays world it's really just a way to say you are going to modify your radio so you can use it on other radio services, without saying you are breaking the rules. lol.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

You would be more legal running two separate radios but you would also have to mount two separate radios and antennas.

I think Legal is best in all Cases - So I will put in the Effort & Money of Two Radios & Antenna. So which GMRS Radio would be best I like the Fact the Face plate is Removable.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Pick up a FTM7250DR and a Midland MXT275 for GMRS and you won't be much over the cost of that Wouxon.

If you really want the detachable head, the FTM300 goes on sale for about $400 a few times a year. That would add Crossband repeat and C4FM to your arsenal.

Reactions: M Rose

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

The Wouxon is 319.99 Seems like a good deal, What do you Guy's think?

FTM7250DR about 270.00

Midland MXT275 149.99

Neither have removable Face Plates -

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Here is my opinion from my GMRS Mobile Radio Options thread.

Another new GMRS mobile radio coming to market...the Wouxun KG-1000G.
This radio sounds great, but comes with a heafty price tag of $310. Though it's pricing is right up there with rugged radio it's way outside of their league.
5/10/20/50 watts with 5 watts on the appropriate channels and repeater capable with split tones.
Wide and Narrow band capable.
HOAA Weather channels
Programmable with up to 999 memories.

Now for the cool parts of this radio.
It's got a remote head with two backing plates, one flat and one to angle the control head. It's based off of the Wouxun KG-U980P quad band radio.
Consequently it is also wide receive as well covering 50-53.995MHz (6m), 108-179.995MHz, 320-349.995MHz, 400-479.995MHz, and 700-985MHz. It is able to receive Airband (AM) as well.
It is also a dual receive/dual display radio.
Dual external speaker outputs and a speaker in the mic.
You can also connect two of them together with a supplied cable and make your own repeater.

If I were okay with spending $250 on the Midland MXT400 I would probably save a bit more and make the jump to the Wouxun, it appears to be by far the best GMRS mobile radio on the market.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The Wouxon is 319.99 Seems like a good deal, What do you Guy's think?

FTM7250DR about 270.00

Midland MXT275 149.99

Neither have removable Face Plates -
The FTM7250DR is $219 right now.
The MTX275 goes on sale regularly for $125. It does not have a detachable face but the screen and all of the controls is on the mic so you can mount the base under a seat or the dash.

You are always going to pay a huge premium for a detachable face which is why that Wouxon cost $319 instead of $150. My suggestions were for 'close' to the Wouxon price if you could live without a detachable face. The MXT275 will still be out of the way for less than half the price. And if you still need a detachable face, something like the FTM300 (which I mentioned earlier),FTM400, or the TM-D710 for Ham would work.

Let us know what you end up going with. Always interested to see what people choose for their rigs.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think I'll give the Wouxon a Go see what it does, Now What kind of Antenna should I run with it?? I read somewhere they were using this
So you want to run GMRS which is just above the 70cm band, why do you need an antenna that resonates below the CB band? The antenna you linked is specifically said to be used with a multi-band armature radio (Icom IC-7000 is a all band all mode HF, VHF, UHF radio as well as the rest of the radios mentioned).
You should be looking for a dedicated GMRS antenna...
Before we can actually help you decide on an antenna it might help to know what kind of vehicle you drive, as antenna placement is just as important as the antenna itself. Technically you can use a piece of wire for an antenna “IF” you cut it at the correct length and have the correct matching unit (I know way to technical). My point is... I don’t own a single commercial antenna, I have built all of my antennas for GMRS, 2m/70cm, and Hf bands (to include CB).

look for a 400-470 MHz antenna and one that is closer to 470mhz
HYS 70cm Antenna UHF 1/4 Wave NMO 400-470Mhz Antenna with Stainless Steel L-Bracket Hole & 13'/About 4m RG-58 Coax Cable for Motorola Kenwood Icom Vertex UHF Mobile FM Transceiver

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I drive a Jeep Gladiator, Is Distance from
Radio important?
As @Prerunner1982 said distance isn’t that important. Aren’t the roofs on Gladiators fiberglass? If so you will need to mount to the bed, hood, or numbers... I like the way @Ubiety mounted his 2m antenna on his Gladiator. Even though 2m is different than a GMRS antenna, the principal is still the same.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Just woke up, no coffee, bleary...
Agree with @Prerunner1982 and @M Rose that the distances possible in a Gladiator are not going to be an issue. Use decent coax - not super thin, no bends or kinks and you will be fine. My antenna is mounted out of the front/hood and the coax transits the firewall where the clutch pedal would have been if I were a real man (automatic), runs under plastic trim by the doors and into cubby under back seat. If you go this route you need to get mount/cable that does not have PL-259 pre-attached so you can get through firewall, through trim, etc. Soldering PL-259 on is not bad and you can find variants that use an SMA(?) in place of the solder but more loss happens that way and not as easy to route. Make sure to SWR it all when done and running continuity with multimeter before soldering to avoid shorts is good - saved myself some heartache doing so. Before doing above I did temporarily run a cable through back window and put mag mount on the corner of the bed top rail (I call it a gunnel because boats have infected me). That is really about the only flat horizontal steel that you are going to find on a G but location is no so bueno. Will post a few pics, corrections, ponderings on my navel after coffee. Feel free to hit me up for parts ids, etc. My setup is working well for me.