Wooden Bridge Overlook - Daniel Boone Backcountry Bypass

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Benefactor

Benefactor

Peoria, IL
Member #

On Saturday, November 18th, a group of 8 rigs explored the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway near Red River Gorge in Kentucky. The DBBB is a 98 mile loop with sections that rate from very easy (paved) to very difficult (rocks, mud, water crossing). Many of the more difficult sections have bypasses.

We diverted slightly from the recorded route to head up to an overlook area only reachable by crossing an old wooden bridge. The views were breathtaking and the bridge is safe, but exhilarating. This section makes for great photos and even better camping (when the wind is not gusting at 40-50 mph like it was for us).

This route is from Callie's Campground (5515 Campton Rd, Stanton, KY 40380) to the bridge just before the overlook. Once the route ends, cross the bridge and head up to the ridge to park your vehicle on the cliff.

The green route in the screenshot is the DBBB, and the purple under it is the trail diversion to the overlook. The GPX and KML files only contain the overlook route, which crosses the DBBB here and there.

Screenshot_20171125-113022.png
Capture8.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_4735.JPG

Attachments

chuckles89

Rank 0

Contributor I

Looks like fun! I saw the video you are in on YouTube yesterday. I think I'm going to shoot for doing the trail over spring break!

Reactions: trailspinTV

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI

Advocate III

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Thank you very much for sharing! My wife has a training around Louisville in July 2018 and I plan on going with her and doing some exploring while there. This looks amazing!

Reactions: trailspinTV

4 Run N Gun

Rank 0

Traveler II

Lemont
Member #

Happy New Years OB. I'm curious about the DBBB. Would trying to take the route as a single vehicle be an absolutely terrible idea? We want to do it this week(Jan 3-5, 2018). I would be doing it with my family. In our 2016 4runner open differentials. It is lifted on 32" Ko2's. No winch but I would have maxxtrax, tow straps and a come-a-long. How bad is the terrain? Is it true I can avoid really rough routes with bypasses. Any advice or knowledge would help immensely.

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Benefactor

Benefactor

Peoria, IL
Member #

Happy New Years OB. I'm curious about the DBBB. Would trying to take the route as a single vehicle be an absolutely terrible idea? We want to do it this week(Jan 3-5, 2018). I would be doing it with my family. In our 2016 4runner open differentials. It is lifted on 32" Ko2's. No winch but I would have maxxtrax, tow straps and a come-a-long. How bad is the terrain? Is it true I can avoid really rough routes with bypasses. Any advice or knowledge would help immensely.
I only completed part of the DBBB on this trip. The entire loop is very long, and I know that there are some parts that are way more difficult than others. As far as doing it alone, use your best judgement. Tow straps won't be helpful if you're the only vehicle, but Maxxtrax should be all you need as long as you don't make any irrational decisions. Check water levels before crossing, have backup communications (no cell service in most areas) and be smart.

@WindyBadger know this area like the back of his hand, and would probably be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. His Youtube channel also has a lot of the trail sections featured, so you should probably take a look to get an idea what the terrain is like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChDrydDIvoUJEg71mLaaFIw

WindyBadger

Rank IV

Advocate III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

You should be fine on the main section of the DBBB. There's nothing too bad. There are a couple of spots that can be muddy after a lot of rain - one on Pumpkin Hollow, and the other on Mountain Springs. I have a playlist that has several of the trails start to finish, and a bunch of other videos that are more interesting. Look for Revere Overland on YouTube.

Here's the video from the day with @trailspinTV

Reactions: vanbuskirk

RedRockKY

Rank I

Traveler I

Vine grove ,Ky
Member #

You should be fine on the main section of the DBBB. There's nothing too bad. There are a couple of spots that can be muddy after a lot of rain - one on Pumpkin Hollow, and the other on Mountain Springs. I have a playlist that has several of the trails start to finish, and a bunch of other videos that are more interesting. Look for Revere Overland on YouTube.

Here's the video from the day with @trailspinTV

I have a group of 3 Rigs planning on doing DBBB the weekend of Feb 16th . Few questions . 1.) is there any must see/stop disperse camping spots (we sleep in our rigs) that we should check out .
2.) is the cliff big enough to sit 3 rigs to camp for the night ( I’m assuming this is the spot in the “best camping in KY video”

Thanks for the tips !
-AJ

WindyBadger

Rank IV

Advocate III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

I have a group of 3 Rigs planning on doing DBBB the weekend of Feb 16th . Few questions . 1.) is there any must see/stop disperse camping spots (we sleep in our rigs) that we should check out .
2.) is the cliff big enough to sit 3 rigs to camp for the night ( I’m assuming this is the spot in the “best camping in KY video”

Thanks for the tips !
-AJ
The cliff is plenty big enough for three vehicles. There are a couple of caves nearby that are worth visiting, and you could definitely camp in or next to them. The trails are a little tricky, but if I can do it I'm sure you can! I'll PM you the tracks I have.

Reactions: RedRockKY

RedRockKY

Rank I

Traveler I

Vine grove ,Ky
Member #

The cliff is plenty big enough for three vehicles. There are a couple of caves nearby that are worth visiting, and you could definitely camp in or next to them. The trails are a little tricky, but if I can do it I'm sure you can! I'll PM you the tracks I have.
Awesome ! Thanks for the tips . Yeah shoot me those tracks if you don’t mind . -AJ

Nighthawk

Rank V

Advocate II

SW, OH
Member #

I know this is an old thread but watching it anyways as we plan on running this around 3rd week of may this year. @WindyBadger I've watched most if not all of your videos on the DBBB and I thought I heard this overlook/ campsite was on private land and is no longer open to public. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Reactions: bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I know this is an old thread but watching it anyways as we plan on running this around 3rd week of may this year. @WindyBadger I've watched most if not all of your videos on the DBBB and I thought I heard this overlook/ campsite was on private land and is no longer open to public. Is that correct or am I mistaken?
I am interested and curious about this info as well.

chuckles89

Rank 0

Contributor I

It is in fact closed due to vandalism one weekend a few months ago :(

Fronicator

Rank I

Member I

Whitestown, IN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Fronek
Member #

I tried this route last weekend to get to the overlook after rock climbing, but I cant tell you if it was closed. The trail after you turn off the DBBB became more difficult than I was willing to tackle in the 4Runner. With all the rain some of the ruts became knee and waist deep, however there was a path on the left edge of the ruts. Since I was by myself it was not worth the risk of sliding into one. Thanks for sharing this route!

Reactions: chuckles89

Taco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lebanon, OH, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Cassell
Would like to note that this past Labor Day weekend me and some buddies took the trail up to the overlook and it is open. If you are trying to figure out the location of the overlook, the routes posted on here will take you right to it.