Wiring for future

• HTML tutorial

Preptac

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Asheville, NC
Member #

I am working on my 80 series and will add second battery in the future. I have the interior out and want to add some cable to rear quarter panel so I can have options for accessories in the future. What size cable would be suggested to run to have good options? For now will run refrigerator and some accessory lights in the rear. Will eventually have onboard air and inverter. Thanks for the suggestions.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Add up the amount of Amps you estimate you are going to use, think on the high side. Measure the length of the wire you will need. Go to BlueSeasSystems web site and there are Charts of what gauge of wire and size fusing you will need. I always pull a couple of different size wire runs for future projects so I don’t have to tear everything apart at a later time. Speaker wire, maybe lighting, 5v acc. outlets. Nothing I like better than to start a project and pull out a panel or access area and find coil of wire zip tied ready to go.

Last edited:
N

NorthWest Xploder

Usually its 2 gauge to 2/0 coming from the battery issolator. I also recomend an additional charging source either solar or a converter to plug in to shore. What battery type are you thinking to use?

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Bigger cables allow more flow with less heat. If I am running it front to back I would have an isolator and fuse set up under hood and a distribution fuse block in the back. You can tie in various equipment as you are ready and in the meanwhile it is set to go, with a safety factor built in. One of the best places to source this type of gear is from car audio places as they often run high powered amplifiers in the trunk or back of a rig so the gear is similar.