Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego, CA 92127
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Pascucci
Member #

Every February, I do a Utah Ski trip with a group of outdoor enthusiasts ranging from a half dozen to dozen. This year, with the snow looking so thin, two of us are planning to drive our rigs up (from San Diego). We're hoping to find some good winter trails and campsites that are accessible due to the lower snowpack. Looking for suggestions.

For reference, we'll be staying in PC, but willing to drive pretty far. I'd say anywhere in the state (or southern Wyoming) for a spot where camping is feasible, but maybe a 150 mile radius for a day trail ride. Our rigs are pretty capable - Tundra and 4runner, both with lifts, lockers, good tires (KO2s), chains, one winch between us, max traxx, know-how, etc. Looking for great views, hikes and a fun trek into the back country.

We're doing Zion on the way up but would love some recommendations from further north.

Thanks in advance.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I might look at American Fork Canyon. We have piss poor snow pack this year, so there are a lot of areas. You might also look at west desert areas in northwest Utah. I can give more specific info on that area if you would like.

18Runner

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Diego, CA 92127
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Pascucci
Member #

Thanks. I’ll do some research on American Fork. If you have any specific favorites in the West desert areas, I’m all ears.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Camping sites in American Fork Canyon are closed for the winter. The entire North Fork is gated at Tibble Fork (snowmobile only beyond gate) and rhe loop road is closed above South Fork, all of the improved camping in the lower Canyon are closed for the season.

The West desert however is open year round. Look into Five Mile Pass, Pony Express Trail, Deep Creeks, Skull Valley, Newfoundlands, etc. Closest to SLC would be Skull Valley, White Rocks, Lakeside Mountains, etc. The ExpeditionUtah.com forum has a plethora of info on all these places.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
OOPS, sorry about the bad info on AF Canyon. I personally enjoy taking the #4 exit on I-80 near Wendover, Ut and heading north. Lots to explore. As Kurt said, go to Expedition Utah and you will find a tremendous amount of info. Must of had a brain fart not recommending the forum to begin with.