Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

It is that time of year (at least here in Northern BC) where the weather is getting cooler and winter is coming. Who goes overloading in winter and what changes do you make to your rig and equipment? I want to get out as much as possible but I have never winter camped and want to be as prepared as possible.

Any winter tips and tricks are welcome!!

Reactions: gtomike

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I do a little bit, in edmonton Alberta here. Not a lot of changes. I pack my tire chains in case I need them. I also throw a tent heater in for the tent.

Other than that the winter is great for exploring. The muskeg freezes and you drive most anywhere.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

winter is definately on the way. biggest difference for us is many areas are not accessible by truck anymore. the fsr's are only plowed if a logging company or private place plows them. chains and sweet tires wont make a difference in 3+ feet if snow. we tend to stay more local in the winter, or explore and camp more away from the truck on snowshoes or skis. frozen lakes make easy walking.

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Get a good sleeping bag and warm clothes, a vehicle heater is also nice to have, especially on longer travels.

If you drive a diesel in areas with a possibility of getting "bad" diesel, fill up a 0.5l plastic bottle with it and tuck it on the bumper, if it flakes, you know you should not drive.

Also get the right oils with extended temperature and if you have a water tank you should consider heating it.

Reactions: Northernlady

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Thanks for the replies! I have a gas powered Jeep JK so diesel issues are not a problem. I have good winter tires and a really good sleeping bag so I am pretty much set. Will look into a heater and may add insulation to my JK top to help keep the heat in.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I always keep insulated bib overalls,gloves,collapsible snow shovel and a container of pellet ice melt in my winter kit. The pellets can be put under tires in extreme ice conditions for immediate traction and will melt ice off of anything.

Reactions: Northernlady

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I’m a huge fan of reflectix. The silver bubble wrap for your water heater. I cut pieces of it to use in my chair to keep warm. I cut shoe inserts out of it. I made a cozy out of it that my coffee mug fits in. A piece of it on your cot or under your sleeping matt will boost your insulation. There’s more uses but they need pics and a longer explanation. It’s great, very versatile, and cheap. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I’m a huge fan of reflectix. The silver bubble wrap for your water heater. I cut pieces of it to use in my chair to keep warm. I cut shoe inserts out of it. I made a cozy out of it that my coffee mug fits in. A piece of it on your cot or under your sleeping matt will boost your insulation. There’s more uses but they need pics and a longer explanation. It’s great, very versatile, and cheap. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great tip...i'll give it a try