Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Looking back on it now I think "cabin fever" might've put better judgement in a backseat to looking for an adventure when I decided to pack up the bike this weekend & head north into the forest... before spring's even started... but oh well it was a hell of a challenge & good fun in the end!

Here getting my BMW 650 Sertao packed up:

Video of setting it up to head out, new parts & mods, gear etc: LINK

Struggled thru thick mud, slushy snow, & glass-like ice as soon as I pulled onto the seasonal roads & trails:

They had enough shade to keep considerably more of that evil white stuff that the tarmac was free of by now:

Without knowing it at the time... I was about to channel all the bailing-without-breaking skills I developed jumping steel-ramps & riding the forests & dunes on atv's a while back:

What a wild ride I went thru after the snow coverage started! Lost count how many times I went down, bumped trees, stalled out, & was bucked right up & off the seat into the snow. Somehow managed to escape too much damage to the bike or myself, but when the hills started I was progressing at maybe a tenth of a MPH:

After it was starting to look like making my original destination wasn't happening before dark, I had to yield.... called it quits on the riding to get camp started with the sun already setting behind the trees:

The forest floor, and everything else for that matter, was absolutely soaked from the big temperature swing. So I was very happy I managed to get a fire started with natural materials & a ferro rod. Still had to build a platform up to keep it sinking into a puddle while I started the steak, all to the tune of owls overhead hooting back 'n forth:

I don't know what it is about fire... but without it crackling away nearby, the multiple coyote calls in the distance & local black bear sightings I was cautioned about would be WAY more worrying:

Was already starting to feel all the offs & crashes from the previous day's ride in when I woke up, & the air dropping from 60F to 18F thru the night put the morning in that odd frozen haze:

Revived the campfire so I could get some heat in my veins & food in my gut. Coffee, bacon, & corned beef hash was on the menu:

I always do my best to leave no trace, especially so when I'm wild/improvised camping. Here overlooking my camp after I cleaned & packed up, ready for ice skating the frozen trails on my way back out:

Might look like still water but that is an inch of ice over top, not the best without studded tires:

Was becoming clear that the whole ride out was going to be like this, every bit of muck & slush on the ride in was now brick solid in these 20F temps:

The tire ruts & bumps felt like a person riding on my bars & soccer kicking my front tire every few yards. Hair raising to say the least:

As the sun rose, so did the temps in the mud & ice. Instead of scooting uncontrollably over top or going off trail to avoid, now the front tire would roll a few inches & crash thru the top layer into the frigid soup beneath:

Finally the snow & ice cover started to clear a bit as I neared the dirt road access:

Never been so happy to see a regular ole dirt road when the trail came to an end:

Hard work but good a time! :grinning:

Only got home long enough to pull the packs off & head straight to work...

...so I'll get more posted up in the next few days, along with an edit of the ~140GB of video I took along the way from Grand Rapids all the way up to the north end of the Manistee National Forest. Tried some new methods & a new camera, here's hoping it's not all wasted 1's and 0's on the cards!

Last edited:

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Uploaded some snapshots from my gopro's as I've been editing the video clip:

Breakfast at sunrise seemed as though it would be plenty early to get where I wanted before dark...

Fallasburg covered bridge (1871)

On my way I passed thru Grand Rapids in the hopes to get some interesting shots, but just burned up way too much time:

Hardy damn still crusted over in ice:

Sure am glad I finished modifying crash bars before heading out, because this became a common sight after turning off onto the trails:

Especially so when the half frozen mud became snow+ice:

Had to give in when the sun started dipping under the tree tops & pull off in search of a level campsite:

Several layers in the sleep system to contend with the low temps ( 18F / -8C )

Didn't need much, but collecting dry dead wood was a challenge with everything soaked thru due to the big temperature swings:

Bucking it all down in the dark was interesting... all ten fingers intact!

Managed to get it started with my firesteel + natural materials (punk wood curls & bark crushed up)

Steak by campfire is best steak :)