Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Hello fellow overlanders!
As the title says, let's talk about window tint on your rigs.

Do you have it or want it?
What are your experiences with it?
What film did you use?

I'm badly in need of some window tint on my rear windows, the heat and sun is annoying and I'm not comfortable that everyone can easily see what's in my rear cargo area.

Your welcome to share your thoughts!

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

It’s on my todo list

Pros
Less bright sun in the car
More secure as the window holds together more
People can’t see in the back so easy

Cons
More difficult to see out at night time
A poor job looks terrible
Cheap film can look purple
Possibility of trouble from the police

I had my wife’s car done, it was not cheap but they done a great job and they are certified and you get a certificate stating how much light passes through each window. Having had cheap jobs done and professional jobs, I would now go with the pro job

Reactions: MazeVX

game-on

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Slovenia
First Name
Matic
Last Name
Repic
Member #

In Slovenia (probably same in other EU countries) it is only allowed to have second row windows and back window tinted. You have to get it done by a professional and have it put into homologation papers. So it is not cheap if you want it to be legal.

But it is also on my to do list, as I sleep in the back of my car and it gives you a lot more privacy.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

It's a little bit different in Germany, if the film is approved you can just put it in as long as the approval number is visible.
If you do it really bad the police can make you pay.

With the 3D curved windows in modern cars it would definitely recommend a professional installer, with the flat windows on my jeep, I think I can do it.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My truck is tinted all around. 5% in the rears and 35% in the front so it is not too dark, but blocks/provide UV protection. The 5% in the back makes it very difficult for people to see what's back there. It like a limo tint. I paid extra for higher quality tint that has reflective properties (ceramic) in the tint to reflect more light - Products | For Cars | LLumar Window Films -

For my camper shell, I added reflective insulation shield so it blocks the sun and makes the camper totally private.

Got it from Amazon -

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

My truck is tinted all around. 5% in the rears and 35% in the front so it is not too dark, but blocks/provide UV protection. The 5% in the back makes it very difficult for people to see what's back there. It like a limo tint. I paid extra for higher quality tint that has reflective properties (ceramic) in the tint to reflect more light - Products | For Cars | LLumar Window Films -

For my camper shell, I added reflective insulation shield so it blocks the sun and makes the camper totally private.

Got it from Amazon -
Llumar ceramic is actually my favorite film! ;-)

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I only have experience with Madico, and can highly recommend their Wincos tint. Also consider tinting the windshield with an IR blocking material. Here in Texas it’s illegal to tint the windshield (with any material that darkens the opacity) but it’s fine to use the clear stuff that’s purpose built just to prevent infrared wavelengths (and the heat they bring). I have to be more careful not to toss things up onto my dash that will damage the film (ask me how I know) but the trade off if well worth it , at least here in such a hot climate.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Also on my to do list. My priority is UV/heat protection, but i reckon i never really know how to park my car properly because of the rear visibility so i know it will not help me with even less visibility. Therefore, before tinting the glass i need to install a rear camera.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Also on my to do list. My priority is UV/heat protection, but i reckon i never really know how to park my car properly because of the rear visibility so i know it will not help me with even less visibility. Therefore, before tinting the glass i need to install a rear camera.
In my wife’s BMW X1 installed a front and rear camera made by Goluk from Amazon -
Works well and uses your phone as the screen. I have them in my other vehicles. Saved me when someone rear ended me and he tried to get away. Camera caught his make model and his license plate number lol. If you get tint in the rear you will just have them cut around camera wide enough to wide angle lens does not get view of tint.

Reactions: 76_overlander

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

The rear and rear door windows are OEM tinted on my truck. I had the front side windows tinted 40% (state law is 50%). Part of it was to make the truck look nicer, as I thought it looked odd but it has helped keep the truck cool in the summer and has added a little bit of security as it makes the rear seat area a little harder to see.

I am considering having some more tint added to the rear glass as MN has no restriction on truck rear glass. Mostly so my son in his car seat has less sun in his eyes and for increased security as mentioned above.

Jenoutside

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Jen
Last Name
Kemp
I've always had all my cars tinted and especially with Overlanding rigs it's a huge benefit for protection and privacy. Ceramic tint also repels heat, even clear ceramic in the front windshield.
A little more expensive but worth it

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alot of newer vehicles in the US come with back and rear door windows tinted already. I wanted to get a really light UV and heat resistant tint for the front door windows on my Grand Cherokee. But I let the tint shop talk me into a darker tint that more closely matched the factory tint. Even though I like the look, I wish I'd have stuck to my original plan. I frequently have to roll the windows down at night to see out of the sides. Not going to make the same mistake with the JL.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Here you are only allowed to have rear windows tinted but without limit. Theoretically it is allowed to tint the front sides to a limited amount of tint but it is quite hard to get it approved and it catches unnecessary attention from the police...

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Luckily my little suv came from the factory with tinted windows, but they are not dark enough for me, which is why they will get 5% tint as soon as I can afford it, here in Norway it is illegal to tint the windshield and front side windows.

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

My car had it already when i bought it. Bit i love it ! Car is black so that's also nice.
It's good for the heat, fridge and dog like it also .
And nobody see whats in te back. So good to prevent theft

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

I was amazed by the price Glasstint asks for the back windows of my KDJ120. The film used for the pricing is not the more expensive as i was only interested in uv/heat protection and did not ask for a strong film against breaking in. More than 550 euros. And ok, it is not as simple as a Defender but the shapes in the prado seem nothing hardcore when cutting and trimming.

AdventurousRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leuven, België
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Boydens
Member #

I while ago I asked around a bit for tinting the windows on my Def 110, and the average they would charge me for it was already € 500,- . Seems to be pretty expensive lately.

• Sad

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Yes they take your money and they don't hesitate to ask for more... Asked for Llumar ceramic in my station wagon and they wanted 700€ so I left...
I have a bit of experience and I will try it diy, it may no be perfect then but it's only 170€ for specific cut quality film...

I guess there are companies like this everywhere, they provide pre cut film for realistic price

Jenoutside

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Jen
Last Name
Kemp
Yes they take your money and they don't hesitate to ask for more... Asked for Llumar ceramic in my station wagon and they wanted 700€ so I left...
I have a bit of experience and I will try it diy, it may no be perfect then but it's only 170€ for specific cut quality film...

I guess there are companies like this everywhere, they provide pre cut film for realistic price
What year and what model is your station wagon? A lot of older European cars have rubber edges around the windows making it really hard to apply the film so it sits flat. The inside of the rubber needs to be cut for the film to slide past so there are no light gaps. It may seem like a high price but sometimes that is because of the detail and time that is needed. Ceramic should be about 80% more in cost than dyed film

Reactions: MazeVX and WouterP