Enthusiast III

Lombardia, Monza e Brianza, Italy
First Name
Mauro
Last Name
Solcia
Member #

As usual it's complicated ...

We don't have a nation wide rules about wild camping, each region, province, town can add specific laws about it.

BUT when there is no specific rule we have the following:
  • Campeggio = camping for 48hrs or more in the same place with structures
    • notify the town that you want to camp in a place and they'll let you know if there are areas where it's ok to do so
  • Bivacco = less than 48hrs in the same place, roof top tent, backpack tents on the ground but NO tent structures (like a dedicated tent for the kitchen)
    • not allowed in some parks, but in the wilderness or mountains it's OK.
Be sure to make a quick search online to see in each region the rules before starting the trip to get more information; and remember to ask the locals to be sure some places are not offlimits or too dangerous.

smokybob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lombardia, Monza e Brianza, Italy
First Name
Mauro
Last Name
Solcia
Member #

So I'm back from a camping trip and had the possibility to share a meal with some nice wild life guards around where I was and I have a couple of updates.

You can plant a tent everywhere, but the car needs to be on the trail not in the fields (I parked at the side of a trail in a field... almost got a fine... than was lunch time and I was aready going in the same direction... was a slow day for them too... so we got lunch together chat for an hour and I've avoided a 300€ fine).

In most places there are openings at the side of the trails / mountain roads, mostly nearby cool spots; some are natural and some were made by the wild life guards during the last 2 or 3 years as they are trying to incentivate people to go, explore and enjoy the mountains in Italy, but to be more respectful of the flora and fauna.

Another strange change...
"Always honk on a tight corner on mountain roads when you go up, so that the person going down can stop or slow down and avoid accidents"
That's changed, in most remote places where wild life is around, the speed limit was dropped to 30 km/h and honking is forbidden, to avoid loud noises and disturb the wild life (and it's nicer for humas too, no more honks at 4 in the morning while camping).

Javier6204

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Strada Lobia, 171, Vicenza, Province of Vicenza, Italy
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
As usual it's complicated ...

We don't have a nation wide rules about wild camping, each region, province, town can add specific laws about it.

BUT when there is no specific rule we have the following:
  • Campeggio = camping for 48hrs or more in the same place with structures
    • notify the town that you want to camp in a place and they'll let you know if there are areas where it's ok to do so
  • Bivacco = less than 48hrs in the same place, roof top tent, backpack tents on the ground but NO tent structures (like a dedicated tent for the kitchen)
    • not allowed in some parks, but in the wilderness or mountains it's OK.
Be sure to make a quick search online to see in each region the rules before starting the trip to get more information; and remember to ask the locals to be sure some places are not offlimits or too dangerous.
Awesome thanks I love in Vicenza and have been wanting to just go camp but I did not know the rules