Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

It's a bond a man has with his Jeep. My wife often says I get a "Joner" everytime I see another Mod Jeep, Especially when I get a wave back. Oh, let's clarify what a Joner is. Jeep + Boner = Joner. Ever since I was 19, I wanted a Jeep but couldn't afford one. Then when we had kids, they didn't have 4 doors at the time so it was not practical. I will tell you tho that in our wedding vows, we did say to each other "We shall not Ever own a mini van".
Back to why "I love my Jeep so much". The Jeep is an extension of who I am, what my passions are and what I love to do every weekend. Hence the 228plus K km in 5 years. The Jeep allows us, as a family, to go exploring and camping anywhere we want. Since the past 2 years, I've been more and more into overlanding and continually looking for the next build to make my JK into the ultimate overland rig. For example, today I will be installing my new Smittybilt Overlander Roof Top Tent.
If I'm not out exploring on the weekends, I'm constantly tinkering, building, adding, modding the Jeep in the garage. I'm always thinking of the next DIY mod.
So thank you, Overland Bound for the great website, forum and community you have started.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think it has nothing to do with the brand, all with the feeling you have with your car. Same with my VW T3 and my Opel Frontera. So much blood, sweat and tears in it. You just have a bond.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

This WJ is my first Jeep. I have always been a Chevy man, until now. I can honestly say this: My jeep was neglected (Other than general services) before I got it. Iv'e had it 2 months now and I have already put new upper and lower control arms and bushings on the front (Needs back also), new pads and rotors all around, new Bilstien 5100 shocks and of course all fluids were changed the day I got it. Even though It needed work that work was easy and cheap, my Blazer was a PITA to work on...a simple brake job you'd break something major and turn it into a 5hr job and cost 3 times what it was supposed to.

Reactions: murps

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I agree it is not necessarily the brand, I had a '12 Liberty (KK) before my Wrangler (JKU) and didn't have quite the same feel with the KK. With the Wrangler I have what I term a "who cares" attitude when I get in it. I don't mean I don't care about others around me, i.e. being rude, it is along the lines of "I am enjoying myself and I will get there when I get there". It does take longer to get gas in a Wrangler than a Liberty because people want to talk about it, "I always wanted one" or "what is it like".

The thing I enjoy the most is reading car reviews on Wranglers. They all go on and on about the rough ride and the other issues that normal car people would hate. They don't seem to understand the concept of a purpose built vehicle. Hey, let's see that Lexus climb a near vertical wall.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
There is something about a Jeep. Others may feel the same way about their chosen overlander as well. People ask me when I'm going to upgrade my 07' JKU to a new one with the 3.6L. Heck, I've barely got this one where I want it. There's always another mod in the works. Plus, I just love driving it. It's not a sports car, and I don't drive it like one. It's not a 3/4 ton truck, and I don't drive it like one. I've put so much into it. And I have a long ways to go. It's a Jeep. It's my Jeep.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have to agree with what others have said that it's not a brand thing, it's the vehicle and what it does for you. I love my Hummer and will never give it up. I have owned a lot of different vehicles and after almost 10 years between two H3s it still puts a smile on my face when I walk up to it. Never had a vehicle before that did that after the first couple of year. Well one, my '70 442 convertible which I miss everyday but that's a whole different feeling. One of the things I love about wheeling the H3 is that it's not the same as every other rig out there and especially love leaving jaws hanging while I go everywhere I was told I couldn't make it. To each their own on vehicle choice and I hope your choice brings you as much happiness as mine does me.

KCAT

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pueblo, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
King
Member #

I'm still sad I sold my 07 JKU. I'm sad my wife wrecked her 2000 TJ. And that why we bought a 1981 Scrambler! Hard to drive on the highway, certainly has its other issues but... it gives me a Joner when I get in it or look at it.

Reactions: Vishnujaju