Why Did You Build Your Rig?

• HTML tutorial

Sawdoff

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am about to build my first Overland Rig out of my daily driver 2011 Chevy Colorado. I recently found out I am going to be a father of identical twins, and I can't think of a better way to teach them to have a love of the outdoors. I want to them to have an adventure rig for weekend and summer getaways.

Why did you build your rig?

Reactions: flex

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Very similar reasons as Sawdoff. For the sake of taking The Varmints camping. And also for some ham radio stuff. The Bride objected to the idea of a hole in the roof of the Suburban, so now we have two camping rigs. The XJ is the more fun vehicle. The Suburban is the one The Bride is willing to travel in.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have a bucket list to see every country in the world. I built my rig to travel to all the countries of the Americas. It allows me to get out of the city, to parts of country, that only the locals experience. When I retire, in a few years, I will spend the first 3-5 years of my retirement in Africa. I will be traveling that big beautiful continent. Until then, I have lots to see in the Americas.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I had my 03 Burb since new for my family of 6 and ran it pretty much stock until 2014. It's been a great do it all SUV that I can pack the house along with 8 passenger and tow. Ive been through muscle car 3 Mustangs and my built Marauder still enjoy it but something about exploring just works for me. I've lived in California all my life but really can't say I've been to all the places this state has to offer. So much to explore and experience. Not to mention getting away and a chance to unplug with friends and family. I enjoy researching places to explore, the planning and outfitting to meet the rigors of this hobby is fun. From learning about different communication devices to recovery gear to surviving the elements. Its Pretty cool stuff. Plus my son is old enough we can experience all this together plus he can drive...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

I think I'm entering my second childhood (regression). I'm doing to the 4Runner all the things I wanted to do to my old CJ-5 40 years ago but couldn't afford to. I've been away from outdoor activities for the last 15 years, and I want to enjoy them again. It doesn't hurt that I have a new granddaughter and I hope to introduce her to the outdoors when she gets a few years older.

Reactions: Justin Forrest

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Overlanding was not really a factor, it just became a bonus. We built up our rigs since we built our cabin offgrid, several miles past any services (plowing, maintenance, emergency services) and have to be self-reliant. We also have to answer Fire and EMT toneouts and wilderness fire patrol so capable rigs are paramount.

Notedhillbilly

Rank III

Advocate II

I originally got the Jeep because we were having our third child and my only vehicle at the time was a KLR. We made a compromise, no more motorcycles if I could have a Jeep. However, after brain cancer and an autoimmune disease, I can no longer do many of the more physical outdoor activities that I used to love. Overlanding seemed like the prime opportunity to get out in nature with the family, but allowing me the opportunity to rest as needed.

Turbo Diesel YJ

coloradooverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Houston, Texas, United States
First Name
Pedro
Last Name
Ferreira
Member #

Because 2 years ago after driving an AMG in the autobahn while on vacation in Europe, I realized my CTS-V with 600hp would never be driven in the US to its full potential. So I then sold my fast car and decided to build a weekend trail warrior / camping vehicle to explore the US without worrying about breaking speed limits.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Because I wanted to be where people weren't.
For eight years the truck has been my DD and weekend warrior to tow the track car to events and our R/V camping. Son is starting the next stage in live now "marriage" and my wife has decided off grid camping is better then R/V parks, so our build for truck camping was started. Build is focused on getting out there with the main goal of being able to get back home at the end of the stay.

My new goal "Remember Daryl you have to drive this home - AAA does not do recoveries!"

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We have been traveling and exploring for years. I always liked Roadtrek camper vans, but at around $100K that was out of the question. Bought a high top conversion van and build one myself. I considerd myself a loner techno geek that liked to camp and explore then I came across Overland Bound and found a whole community of great people that have the same interests!

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

For eight years the truck has been my DD and weekend warrior to tow the track car to events and our R/V camping. Son is starting the next stage in live now "marriage" and my wife has decided off grid camping is better then R/V parks, so our build for truck camping was started. Build is focused on getting out there with the main goal of being able to get back home at the end of the stay.

My new goal "Remember Daryl you have to drive this home - AAA does not do recoveries!"
Sounds like my story, starting to build truck out now, my son the youngest is 10, so in a few years, he can be alone at home, and me and the wife are going to hit the road.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk