White Rim Trail, Moab

• HTML tutorial

BlackBear

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Airdrie, AB
Member #

We spent two days on the White Rim Trail! It was an awesome trail... Come prepared because there are long rocky stretches, deep sand, steep climbs, skinny trails, and no rescue/recovery for more than 100 miles. Also, you must have a permit as there is limited access/usage. IMG_5718.JPG IMG_5707.jpg IMG_5728.jpg IMG_5760.jpg IMG_5894.png

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
That is such a beautiful area. Nice photos. Looks like the trail is "trailer friendly." I've got an offroad teardrop with a max coupler hitch behind a 4runner TRD Pro with stock suspension. Was hoping that I could get them up on this trail someday. Thoughts?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We spent two days on the White Rim Trail! It was an awesome trail... Come prepared because there are long rocky stretches, deep sand, steep climbs, skinny trails, and no rescue/recovery for more than 100 miles. Also, you must have a permit as there is limited access/usage. View attachment 59206 View attachment 59207 View attachment 59208 View attachment 59209 View attachment 59210
I'm curious, as I have been on the WRT many times, why on earth did you feel the need to park off of the trail for a photo op? I'm referring to the last photo of the bunch. That's how trail closures begin to happen, you go off the trail just a little bit, then the next guy goes a little more and a little more and a little more, till the next thing ya know, the trail is twice as wide as is necessary. The powers that be see this, and suddenly we can no longer visit the area or drive on the trails... I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just concerned.

TacoPilot

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm planning on taking the family to Utah in March. I've been eyeballing the WRT but am a little concerned. The video and Pictures I've seem make it look like a pretty easy trail. I've got a 16 TRD OR Tacoma with the 2"OME lift and good tires. My concern is I don't have a wench (yet) but I do have on board air. Is there need on this trail for self recovery? I was reading on the Canyon lands website that I should.

Thanks for the info. Great pictures btw.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Thanks for sharing! On my bucket list. Not to interesed in the harder trail in the area, but really want to take a week and go out via RimRocker camp at the Co/Utah border the make my way to do WRT. Then maybe some otger mellow trails while there.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm planning on taking the family to Utah in March. I've been eyeballing the WRT but am a little concerned. The video and Pictures I've seem make it look like a pretty easy trail. I've got a 16 TRD OR Tacoma with the 2"OME lift and good tires. My concern is I don't have a wench (yet) but I do have on board air. Is there need on this trail for self recovery? I was reading on the Canyon lands website that I should.

Thanks for the info. Great pictures btw.
No, no need for a winch on the WRT. Unless, there is going to be inclement weather. If it's wintertime, then yes. If it is monsoon season, then yes, but for the most part the entire Trail including dropping down Lathrop Canyon is easily traversed in a stock vehicle. Your money would be better spent on rocker panel protection, really good drinking water container, good tent, a roof rack, and maybe even an awning.
as the time nears check out weather forecasts and talk to rangers. The most beneficial discussions you will ever have about the WRT is a conversation on the phone with a park ranger. Call them during the off season, they don't have a lot to do and are more than willing to engage you in, sometimes, an hours long conversation about you, your equipment, what it is you are looking for, and a plethora of good information on trip planning the WRT tour.

The Canyonlands web site advises having extraction equipment for the park in general. I"d never gointo the Maze or exit the park heading south of the Needles district without one. Here is my son in laws stock 4Runner Trail on easily the most technical section of the WRT. Enjoy :)

TacoPilot

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks a ton. I've got a prinsu rack and a FSR RTT. I'm shopping for rock sliders now and maybe a set of upper control arms. Then I should be set for this trip.

BlackBear

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Airdrie, AB
Member #

I'm curious, as I have been on the WRT many times, why on earth did you feel the need to park off of the trail for a photo op? I'm referring to the last photo of the bunch. That's how trail closures begin to happen, you go off the trail just a little bit, then the next guy goes a little more and a little more and a little more, till the next thing ya know, the trail is twice as wide as is necessary. The powers that be see this, and suddenly we can no longer visit the area or drive on the trails... I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just concerned.
Couple things,
1) I practice tread lightly!
2) I leave an area better than when I get there! (No trace camping)
3) I was not off the trail!!! I did pull over to let a large truck go by. It was supporting a group of mountain bikers.

Reactions: JDGreens

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
For those who have traveled the WRT, can you look at my attached photo? This is my rig and off-road teardrop. I was thinking of planning a spring trip with a few other folks. Wondering two questions, if you don't mind some feedback. #1 - seeing the photos of the trailers, I am assuming that my TD would be OK. Just don't want to get up there have to do a 40-point turn to go back. As a side note, the photo is from the Kokopelli Trail and the TD made it OK through that. #2 - is a permit required for running the trail? Thanks a bunch for your help.

Attachments

Reactions: midniteT4Rtrail

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For those who have traveled the WRT, can you look at my attached photo? This is my rig and off-road teardrop. I was thinking of planning a spring trip with a few other folks. Wondering two questions, if you don't mind some feedback. #1 - seeing the photos of the trailers, I am assuming that my TD would be OK. Just don't want to get up there have to do a 40-point turn to go back. As a side note, the photo is from the Kokopelli Trail and the TD made it OK through that. #2 - is a permit required for running the trail? Thanks a bunch for your help.
If you did Kokopelli the WRT will be a cake walk in comparison. You need permits, it fills up fast in the spring and fall. Me? I get up at a 1:45 AM, get on line, got everything loaded up and hit the reservation key at exactly 2:00 am plus 10 seconds. ( midnight mountain time ) The reservations filled up in about 2 minutes. We camped for 3 nights along the trail. Good luck.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Couple things,
1) I practice tread lightly!
2) I leave an area better than when I get there! (No trace camping)
3) I was not off the trail!!! I did pull over to let a large truck go by. It was supporting a group of mountain bikers.
OK, that's good to know that you are in the know. That photo just looks a bit nefarious. must be the angle.