White Mountains and Acadia

• HTML tutorial
Planning a trip with my wife (who hates camping) and my son (who loves it all) to the White Mountains and Acadia / Bar Harbor area .... I'm trying to find the best spots that aren't as accessible that I could take them to. Does anyone have any good spots they would like to share that's maybe away from some others not a big campground?

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
For the White Mountain area I am most familiar with the Evans Notch Area (My dad was a Forest Ranger for that district for Years). There are 4 camp grounds in that area. Three of them have limited facilities and one has None. My personal Favorite is the Wild River Campground. It is at the end of a 5 mile dirt road off RT113 in Western Maine right on the border of NH. Only facilities on site is bathrooms (outhouse style) and hand pump water access points.

There are only two usable camper sites and can really only accommodate smaller RVs/Campers. They have a few more Tents sites. A couple of them have leantos. Plenty of trail hiking in the area right off the camp.

Last time I was there sites were first come first serve.

No Cell Phone coverage. VZW can sometimes be reached on the top of local mountains or drive out to Gilead.

Hastings Campground and Basin Campground take limited reservations

Erebus

Rank I

Contributor III

I have a couple in the White Mountains.

There are a couple areas in the Twin Mountain/Bretton Woods area with primitive camping. They are basically just a clearing with a fire ring, nothing else. Some can be driven into and others are a short walk (50-100 feet) from the road. The sites are spread out and tend to be very quiet. However, there are no amenities. Hot showers and real bathrooms are available at the AMC Highland Center or Conway Railroad station in Crawford Notch. The only hangup here is that they are first come, first served. Going up mid-week I have never had a problem getting a site but they usually fill up on Friday evening.

If you want something with facilities and will take reservations, I like Dry River Campground just east of Crawford Notch on RT302. It is a relatively small campground, quiet, with restroom/shower/laundry facilities. There is a great place to swim in the river about 1/2 mile up the road. There is also some hiking trails out the back of the campground. I have stayed here many times, especially when my kids were active in Cub Scouts. The sites are close together but they will all accommodate vehicles and some will accommodate small campers or vehicle/trailer combos.

Though I have been to Acadia, I have never camped in the area. I can tell you, though, it is a high tourist area in the summer and very busy.

When are you planning to make this trip?