Whisky

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Sandy Eggo
Who else likes a dram (or more) of the good stuff?

Went in with some friends on a bottle that is way above my regular fare:

Benromach35yr5OPT.gif

Good stuff.

Laphroaig 10yr cask strength is more in line with my budget and tastes just fine for me. But this stuff is a cut above. I don't think I could justify the price for just myself, but it was a pleasure to share with friends.

Shakes355

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm a Lagavulin 16 fan, myself. (I really enjoy most of the Islay Region stuff I've tried.) Goes on sale every few moons at Costco.
Otherwise I'll generally keep a Glenfiddich 12, Aberlour 12, or Laphroaig select on the shelf depending on what's available locally and my current mood (see: budget).

Some may not call it "the good stuff" but I always keep some rye bourbon on the shelf as well for mixing. Hard to beat the big bottle of Bulleit Frontier Rye for a decent Old Fashioned.

• Love
Reactions: Boort and Bama_Kiwi

Bama_Kiwi

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Lagavulin 16 if I'm feeling fancy and it's cold. I don't enjoy it nearly as much in Spring/Summer for some reason.

Otherwise, for 'whisky', Glenfiddich single malt 12 is my go-to. It was my paternal grandmother's drink of choice. 2 fingers with an ice cube - she called it her "drinky-poo".

Alan_Hepburn

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Jose, Ca USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hepburn
My regular go-to is Highland Park 18 YO, with their 12 YO being a close second. When I can find it I also enjoy a dram of Scapa 16 YO, but it is real difficult to find...

Reactions: Anak

MegaBug

Rank V

Educator I

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I love the old stuff and have a fairly well stocked cabinet (my fav is a 21 year old Glenfiddich).....BUT my daily driver is Evan Williams on the rocks (ice never touches the ”good stuff”, just a few drops of water to ”open it up”).
And I am Canadian, so it is ”whisky” (unless I am drinking whiskey :-)

Reactions: grubworm

Pretzel

Rank II
OB1

Enthusiast I

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Redbreast 12yr Irish is my go-to, Glenfiddich 15 "Solera" is nice too. I save the Islay scotch for when I'm feeling froggy like if it's been a really good or really bad day.

Reactions: Anak

grubworm

Rank V

Member I

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

i found this at a store in north georgia and love it! super good to sip while hiking in the cold. its canadian and they spell it with an "e" so i guess that means it is for less sophisticated pallets...which makes sense since i like it.

it doesnt matter what you drive....but it does matter what you put in your 'piehole'... :grinning:

IMG_4231.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaBug

MegaBug

Rank V

Educator I

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

i found this at a store in north georgia and love it! super good to sip while hiking in the cold. its canadian and they spell it with an "e" so i guess that means it is for less sophisticated pallets...which makes sense since i like it.

View attachment 177816
Hey Grubworm, love the name of the Piehole ”whiskey” :-) The spelling got me wondering though, so I checked where it is made. Connecticut!! Imposters! They actually say ”Canadian style whiskey” (whatever that means :-) Definitely on my list to try next time we can get down.
On a similar note, we love traveling in the US (when we can!) and think you make a first class breakfast. We always chuckle however when we are served ”Canadian bacon”. We just call it ham.
Just sayin' (not trying to start any border wars :-)

Reactions: grubworm

Alan_Hepburn

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Jose, Ca USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hepburn
One offering I found last year which I really like is an "experimental" single malt from Glenfiddich called "Fire and Cane" - a peaty malt aged in boubon barrels, then finished in latin rum casks. An interesting blend of flavors!

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm a fan of Whisky and Whiskey. Big fan of Laphroaig Select and 10yr. High West is a pretty good bourbon or Buffalo Trace if I'm on the cheap. Monkey Shoulder is also quite good. I generally don't keep stuff around just for guests but don't go through it like water either.

Joey83

Rank VI

Pathfinder I

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I'll stick with Jack Daniels, not that I actually drink it, I have one of the big bottles and have probably 85-90% left 4 years after buying it.