Rank I

Contributor III

Maine, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Winn
Hey all!

We will soon be embarking a multi-month adventure and I will need access to wifi while out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a device.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
If we have cellular coverage and need to connect the laptop we use the hotspot on the phone. If we're out of cellular coverage we are not interested in connecting to the net. I guess this may not help much though. If we ever had to connect for some reason when out of cellular coverage we could connect via the satphone, but the cost would be high so it would have to be some sort of emergency.

If you're thinking of working an hour or two every week or so then you can usually find internet cafés (which have worked out conveniently for us in many parts of the world).

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Your phones and mobile devices are the best way to connect to WiFi, when there is a WiFi signal, which are becoming more and more prevalent all over the country. Plenty of apps for apple and android devices that help you locate WiFi at cafés, restaurants, hotel lobbies, etc.

You cannot create WiFi, though, with your devices or even with a portable router if there is no cell signal to start with. More and more towers are going up all over the place, though, and it's harder and harder to find places that have no signal, too.

You can google portable routers for travelers. You will still need a cell signal, however, and usually pay a monthly fee for the device whether you have a signal to create WiFi from or not.

The advantage of portable routers to create WiFi is that they are more localized and usually more secure than WiFi at a cafe, etc.

As @Prerunner1982 says, weBoost will help boost available cell signals. I've been running the weBoost Drive 4GX-OTR going on three years and have found it to be really handy and dependable. Works better out in the open than in the city, and works better if you have the external antenna mounted high, and apart from the interior antenna.

I can sit in the driver's seat and switch it on and off and watch it double and triple my cell signal. That often makes the difference between having a more solid connection or dropping the signal in the middle of a conversation or upload.

xcrunnerME

Rank I

Contributor III

Maine, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Winn
Your phones and mobile devices are the best way to connect to WiFi, when there is a WiFi signal, which are becoming more and more prevalent all over the country. Plenty of apps for apple and android devices that help you locate WiFi at cafés, restaurants, hotel lobbies, etc.

You cannot create WiFi, though, with your devices or even with a portable router if there is no cell signal to start with. More and more towers are going up all over the place, though, and it's harder and harder to find places that have no signal, too.

You can google portable routers for travelers. You will still need a cell signal, however, and usually pay a monthly fee for the device whether you have a signal to create WiFi from or not.

The advantage of portable routers to create WiFi is that they are more localized and usually more secure than WiFi at a cafe, etc.

As @Prerunner1982 says, weBoost will help boost available cell signals. I've been running the weBoost Drive 4GX-OTR going on three years and have found it to be really handy and dependable. Works better out in the open than in the city, and works better if you have the external antenna mounted high, and apart from the interior antenna.

I can sit in the driver's seat and switch it on and off and watch it double and triple my cell signal. That often makes the difference between having a more solid connection or dropping the signal in the middle of a conversation or upload.
Thank you!!!!

Reactions: Road