QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Currently thinking of swapping my 1999 Discovery 2 V8 For something newer. It has nearly 300000km behind it so has had a good life.
With children growing up, but still wanting to do vehicle based travel on and off road, what are the pro's and
con's of Discovery3 vs Range Rover Sport?
Being in Norway the engine of choice is the 2.7 V6 diesel, but other than that the vehicles will be tha same.
Any opinions?
And no Toyota isn't an option... HAHAHA (they are too expensive)

Reactions: lvivier

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Well it would purely depend on what you are looking to achieve with the vehicle and if you choose to put any modifications on it such as roof tents ect,

I rode around in a Disco 1 for many years which suited my needs quite happily as i did alot of travelling for work but needed offroad ability while riding comfortably,

Now I'm using a Defender 90 as I now travel less often for work which means slightly more room to play with the setup ect :grinning:

As far as I am aware other than the body style between the two - they are very much a similar capability (friends have used / owned both models)

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I don't know about that side of the pond, but here, modding a Disco is much easier in terms of available options for parts.

The disco has more head room and cargo room. It's the same bones, so the choice seems simple to me for anything related to long distance travel. It also has a better seating position (IMO) with better visibility. They did some odd things with the dashboard area on the sport to make it feel like it is wrapping around you more.

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I have an 08 LR3 and love it. I did a ton of research before I bought it. Fits 6+ a dog and will take everyone pretty much anywhere. They worked out most of the bugs from the 05-06s. Both models share many of the same mechanical components, just setup a bit differently. Personally I do not like the "Sporty" hardness of the suspension as set on what RRS.

The other main difference is wheels and tires. You limiting factor on tire size are the fender wells and in the RRS they are just smaller than in the LR3. RRS maxes out at about 31" tires comfortably while the LR3 can go 32" with no rubbing and 33" with some squeezing. Most RRS also came with 19"rims which really limit your all terrain tire options. The 18s on most of the LR3s are much more accommodating and give a bit more sidewall. You can put 18" rims on the RRS but you need to grind down the cooling find on the break calipers.

I dont know about in Norway but the prevailing opinion of black tan ( poster above) has actually brought down the value of the LR4s and keeps the LR3 values stable. If I were buying today I would probably be looking at a 2012 LR4 with the V8. The 2013+ with the supercharged V6s are garbage.

Wish we had the diesel options over here. Sometimes I think head gasket changes keep Land Rover USA in business.

Reactions: QCNR

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I had an '04 Disco and loved it other than that pesky slipped liner it developed. Now I just bought an '06 LR3 and love it, the room inside it is phenomenal! I've yet to start modding it yet but I really like it. I can't speak about the RRS because I've never looked at one, they're just not the look I'm after. I love the boxiness of the Disco 1-4, plus I wanted the 7 seats.

Reactions: QCNR

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

I was shopping for an LR4, but I ended up with a 2012 RRS—the styling, road manners and supercharged V8 snookered me in. I think it'll be more fun on the road and just as much off it. A few differences:
  • RRS is shorter (wheelbase, length and height)
  • RRS has more road-oriented suspension and handling
  • LR3/4 can seat 7, RRS only 5
  • I can't lie down comfortably in back of my RRS
  • LR3/4 more likely to find with locking rear diff
  • Newer RRS needs modification or replacement of brakes to fit 18" wheels
Lots of LR3 accessories fit on the RRS due to the shared platform. Skid plates, rock sliders, extended fuel tanks, bumpers, expedition roof racks, etc. are all available for the RRS, but there aren't as many choices.

Good luck searching for your next ride :)

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

It is going to depend on what you want to do. The first gen RRS, L320, shares the same platform, though shorter wheelbase, with the D3/LR3, so modding and parts support shouldn't be that bad. Now, if you're talking about the new RRS, L494 v D3, that's a completely different story. The L494 is a complete unibody, v. the D3/RRS body-on-frame. Aftermarket parts support is also limited compared to the previous gen RRS, so you may be looking at a lot of custom-fab for overlanding.

Reactions: lvivier

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

Good point! I always forget somehow about the L494 haha...totally different vehicle. Green Oval Experience is starting to make armour for it and Voyager has an expedition roof rack but it’s early days for accessories yet.