Where art and structure meet

• HTML tutorial

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

looking for some recommendations on either existing curriculum or how we at OB conduct member training. Specifically winching, rock crawling, high lift jack use, and vehicle rollover procedures.

I realize these are basics and I could probably throw together curriculums myself, but I’d rather seek out subject matter experts in our community, who may have experience presenting these subjects to both new and seasoned adventurers.

My hope is to equip our local members by empowering them with knowledge, practical application and opportunities to use the equipment on their rigs. I don’t want to take for granted that because somebody has gear, that they have had a chance to learn all the ins and outs of it and be comfortable in its use out on the road. Thanks for your consideration and input, it is appreciated!

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've been talking to a couple members with skill sets directly applicable to recovery and off-road workshops. It will lead to a regularly updated list of experienced members we can provide to local groups like yours. Folks willing to work with small groups who want focused training. I'd love to take some myself.

A great model are the recovery and other workshops offered at Overland Expos East and West and many other gatherings around the country, scaled for smaller group attendance.

I've been asked to consider leading, and plan on offering, workshops and presentations on a variety of things including off-grid power, photography and software, basic camping skills and responsible camping/trail use (surprising how many have no idea how to camp/travel backcountry but want to learn), how to long-term travel, travel writing, van life, etc. All part of the plan in coming years and why I've gathered the gear I have.

You're lucky on the west coast to have a higher concentration of people experienced in off-road and recovery techniques than many other places around the world.

Like most things with this fast growing membership, takes a little time to do it right so it does not have to be reinvented down the road as membership grows further.

Start gathering names in your area, see who offers what, who is experienced in leading sessions (not everyone with skill is adept at teaching), find out what they need to work with your group, and it will start happening. Then before you know it I'll be asking you to come help out with a local group somewhere.

I have faith in you, brother, you're a shaker and mover!

Reactions: Sheepdog831

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

There are so many good things about this idea and great potential. What a great opportunity to learn and
  • Teaching and passing along the knowledge.
  • Outreach to local groups
  • Building networks.
  • Managing expectation of the new and curious about what really can happen out there.
  • Keeping the love it and protect it part in the forefront of everyone who leaves the asphalt to explore.
  • I love the face to face aspect.
  • @Road Agree completely with the starting locally.