When your overland vehicle is your daily driver

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

rho

Rank IV

Contributor III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG6YB
My jeep is my DD, "expo" vehicle and rock crawler. Needless to say it is very well maintained.... There a some issue when stuff breaks as I gotta get it fixed asap, but its generally not too bad.

Reactions: Lanlubber

ChepoCDT

Rank VI

Enthusiast II

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

I'll Play!
Toyota Tacoma 2011 with:
ARB front bumper
Custom rear bumper
Full Skids
Rack
Leds all over...
OME 2.5" Lift kit
35x12.5 r17 Cooper Tires

Smittybilt Overlander XL Roof top tent
Smittybilt 6.5x6.5 Awning

And some more stuf

Photo 1-5-18, 6 42 22 PM.jpgIMG_9348.jpgIMG_9374.jpgGOPR0357.JPG

Last edited:

Franklin Pepe

Rank I

Contributor I

Weymouth Massachusetts
Member #

Also from the Boston area. My daily driver is an 05 Sequoia I bought about 3 years ago for a family vehicle and to be my toy. Upgrades include Bilstein shocks and springs in front with 2.5” lift, Bilstein shocks and Dobinson springs rear with 1.75” lift sitting on 33” Ridge Grapplers. A custom rack on top to carry everything needed for our family trips. The trailer I started building this spring is a work in progress, like the truck I’ll always be trying to improve it.

IMG_0869.JPGIMG_0917.JPGIMG_0870.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0554.JPG

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.

Advocate III

On the road in North America
Member #

08 GMC Savana EB 6.6 Duramax, 3/4 ton with a 1 ton rear end and limited slip. I call her Vannery O'Connor. 10 points to anyone who gets the reference.

410,000 miles on her right now and been my daily driver, and only vehicle I've owned, for over eight years. Had a similar diesel van, though Chevy Express, before this.

Nowhere near as sexy looking as some y'alls rigs, but a hell of a lot more utilitarian and functional for what I do, which is long-distance travel for months at a time hauling photography and adventure gear for all weather and environments, as well as gear I'm testing and reviewing.

nhlakecamping_7753-1028.jpg
New England Lake Camping earlier this month.

I get a lot of questions when camped around other folks, like "Are you government?" - "You work for the national parks?" - "Are you (so and so) University Research?"
I just pause, look over my glasses, and whisper "I work for the Company." :tongueclosed:

quitman_3271-1000.jpeg
Getting ready to go up over a pass in those hills. This is near Ft Hancock on the border. Might not look it from here, but there were some loose rocky roads, sharp turns, and steep drop offs to the sides.

fuelingup_roaddude_2211-900.jpg
Fueling up somewhere in the south or west, lord knows.

I consistently get 17mpg when towing with both van and trailer loaded, and get 20 or better with just the van.
I carry up to 45 gals fuel and stay off-pavement for weeks at a time.
Was back country in the borderlands this past winter/spring and stayed aired down 62 days in a row.
As long as I have a place to get water and food every once in awhile, I can stay off-grid and off-pavement for as long as I want, providing all my own power needs.

vaninterior-181127_7050-1000.jpg
Most recent van interior setup.

Pretty cozy for road trips when I use truck stops, highway rest areas, and stealthy urban camp spots for sleeping. I call the ol' gal my SUV (Stealthy Urban Van).

Great for when I have company in camp. too, because they always get the RTT on the trailer. I just clear off the bed and crawl in. The bed can go anywhere along the length of the interior, down either side, or be folded up entirely and stowed out of the way. There is about three feet of living space the other side of the bed, so I can step right from the driver's seat to the bed without getting out of the van. That space is also accessible from the side doors.

I keep another folding bed board so I can have two, one down each side, when my kid or anyone else comes along for long road trips and we either don't have the trailer or don't want to pop up the RTT wherever we might be crashing. That allows two to sleep and keeps a full pass through from seats to rear doors.

packeduprolling_0577-blkd-900.jpeg
Loaded up and rolling through the woods of New Hampshire.

VTfarmcamp_8962-1028.jpg
Overnight at a friend's farm in Vermont last month with my kid. She got the RTT, I took the van.

roaddude-bigdawgs-900.jpg
Rolling with the big dawgs.

She's a good old beast and I love her to death.

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0EBF
I drive it everyday and everywhere. Having so much one-on-one time with the rig puts me in tune to anything that may become a problem. At almost 320k miles, staying ahead of possible problems is important. 13mpg is tough, but cheaper than buying, insuring and paying property tax on an efficient rig 1/2 as comfortable as the Cruiser.

IMG_20190820_094345.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.

Advocate III

On the road in North America
Member #

Also from the Boston area. My daily driver is an 05 Sequoia I bought about 3 years ago for a family vehicle and to be my toy. Upgrades include Bilstein shocks and springs in front with 2.5” lift, Bilstein shocks and Dobinson springs rear with 1.75” lift sitting on 33” Ridge Grapplers. A custom rack on top to carry everything needed for our family trips. The trailer I started building this spring is a work in progress, like the truck I’ll always be trying to improve it.

View attachment 114047View attachment 114048View attachment 114049View attachment 114050View attachment 114051
Like your trailer, @Franklin Pepe - looks like you've got it rigged just the way you want.

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 73880 View attachment 73881 View attachment 73882 View attachment 73883 View attachment 73884 Well then lets see your daily driven overland vehicle.
1st pic metal masher
2nd flat iron mesa
3rd devils pass N.H.
4th lynn beach Ma.
5th ouray colorado
Heres mine many of you have seen it or heard of it. I was a jeep guy for a long time and Mikes fj80 is why I ended up with this as my daily. Shes fully loaded out rear drawers fridge invertor dual batteries RTT supercharger shes rollin on 37 mud grapplers, a 6in lift king shocks dobinsons springs whiteline sway and the interior is all up to date comms, nav etc etc etc Oh and she is triple locked. . and it has been to MOAB ouray telluride more than a half dozen times and shes drives there does hells gate kane creek imogene etc and drives home, well actually I drive. . runs like a top. and all work is done by me in my driveway.
Who wouldn't like this rig.? Money, money, money everywhere and if I had it I would do just the same thing, less the RTT (I don't like um) .. Good job

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
I suppose I'll play!
2002 4runner SR5. 33s, armor, drawers, fold-out bed, fridge, and 15mpg. Most all the preventative MX has been done amd she has always run well. I have a few more moderate upgrades to do like sound system, but the next major thing is TrueTrac lockers. View attachment 73885
Very efficient rig I'd say, I like it a lot.

Envious Outdoors

Rank I

Member I

Lake Jackson, TX
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Cummins
Member #

Billiebob

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Nakusp, BC V0G 1R0, Canada
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

I like mine as a daily cuz it changes roles in minutes.

From towing my tools and hauling ladders
DSC_0072.jpeg

to pulling the ladders, dropping the trailer, trading doors and going to the beach in under 5 minutes.
DSC_0043.jpeg

to hitching an open trailer and going for firewood
trlr 017.jpg

to sliding in the Square Drop and going camping.
DSCN1497.jpeg

With the exception of stocking food it transforms in under 5 minutes.
And looks just like another Jeep as a Daily Driver.

DSC_0003.jpeg

Last edited:

Downs

Rank III

Advocate II

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Ham Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Good thread. My 95 XJ is my daily driver and "Overland" rig. Everything I take with me is stored in storage totes so it's easy in and out and anyting I attach to the outside is easily removable so I can strip it out for daily use and load it up for travel instead of lugging hundreds of extra lbs of equipment that I don't use at work or the majority of the week.

Last edited:

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
Reactions: ChepoCDT