Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Once in a while some one will get stuck in the mud, some steps to get out and unstuck when you are alone in the trails. I would recommend having a shovel, recovery straps and a floorjack or hi-lift jack while traveling anywhere.
One Way
Step 1: Put your car into park. So it does not move when you get out the the vehicle
Step 2: Take a car mat out or how ever many you need, put the tip of the mat at the front of the tire(or rear if going in reverse)
Step 3: get back into the vehicle and go slowly foward or backwards onto the mat( so you dont just kick the mat away). and then once you feel the grip, do not stop the vehicle,just keep going so you dont get stuck again.

Second Way
This way is to go and look for sticks,rocks, anything dry and build it up a little in the front or rear of the tire for dry traction.
once you get traction do not stop or you might get stuck again.

Third Way
Ive seen people use this way as well.
Its called a Steel Recovery Track, it works good and you can store it easly in the truck or on a roof rack. you basically unfold it and put it under the tire as you would do while using a car mat.

Last Way
If you find yourself in a bad situation and nothing above helps, and you have a hi-lift jack and recovery straps with you.
You can use the hi-lift jack as a bring along winch, multiple straps are needed. Tie one side of the strap to either around a tree or a huge non moveable rock to the high lift top part using a D shackle. Another strap you tie into the tow hooks of your vehicle and then to the lower part of the hi lift. as you crank the hi lift, the vehicle should start to move out of where it is stuck. Be Careful while doing this as watching the vehicle making sure it is not turning into a different direction.

Hope this helps everyone.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

some places dont have phone service and uncase someone does not have a cb radio or anything of that sort, these could be handy

Reactions: Desert Runner

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have often been stuck in the mud. Goes with Overlanding I suppose. I use my shovel to clear out a spot, in the center of the rig, for my X-Jack, lift up the side of the vehicle, and place MaxTrax below each tire. Repeat on the other side. I tie straps to drag the maxtrax along with me, until I'm safe from getting stuck again. This method has worked for me many times.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

I have often been stuck in the mud. Goes with Overlanding I suppose. I use my shovel to clear out a spot, in the center of the rig, for my X-Jack, lift up the side of the vehicle, and place MaxTrax below each tire. Repeat on the other side. I tie straps to drag the maxtrax along with me, until I'm safe from getting stuck again. This method has worked for me many times.
that is great to know, thanks!

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

Maxtrax or any other quality traction track are great if your mudding by yourself.

Reactions: Louie559
I always carry my garmin Inreach explorer plus which is a Bluetooth sat phone that can text, email, call, and has extensive maps
Also I have my 4 sand coloured/colored maxtrax my 4ft highlift, 13500lbs winch, and ground anchor so I don’t expect to get stuck.
I also carry an estwing splitting hatchet, grans fors bruks wildlife hatchet, shovel, parang, folding saw and chainsaw

Sent from my bloody iPad, the jeeslus thing still confuses me. using OB Talk

Reactions: Louie559

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have rescued lots and lots of folks over the last 40 years, including putting more than 20 people on life flight and one body recovery (lack of water, so the guy died on the first day in the desert) for the Sheriff's office. If you don't carry enough equipment to self rescue, you are not prepared enough to get very far from the main road or cell signal...IMHO.

If you are going to explore far way from civilization, you need a winch, lots of straps, D-rings, a land anchor (or know how to improvise one) for desert wheeling, Dual battery mount, tools, water filtration, food (I carry 2 weeks of Mountain House dehydrated meals), multiple ways to make fire, extra fuel, guns and ammo.

I like the tracks, but with a good winch and land anchor (buried a spare tire when I was younger), I don't think you need tracks.

I have rescued lots and lots of folks over the last 40 years, including putting more than 20 people on life flight and one body recovery (lack of water, so the guy died on the first day in the desert) for the Sheriff's office. If you don't carry enough equipment to self rescue, you are not prepared enough to get very far from the main road or cell signal...IMHO.

If you are going to explore far way from civilization, you need a winch, lots of straps, D-rings, a land anchor (or know how to improvise one) for desert wheeling, Dual battery mount, tools, water filtration, food (I carry 2 weeks of Mountain House dehydrated meals), multiple ways to make fire, extra fuel, guns and ammo.

I like the tracks, but with a good winch and land anchor (buried a spare tire when I was younger), I don't think you need tracks.
I do like maxtrax/sand ladders it's just the ease of putting them under your tire.
And partially because I didn't pay for them, they are issued, I'm a 4x4 responder

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using OB Talk mobile app