• HTML tutorial

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

1392B64A-9C4A-4447-9DF5-3518698FFBFF.jpeg
Well, I ran out of time for my trailer build. So instead of my deadlines getting in the way of my adventure. We will Be tent camping. I decided to take the ramp off my little landscape trailer, paint the wheels and diamond plate black. Take off the the cheesy safety stickers and presto! The beginning of an adventure trailer build. One day she will have a RTT, new axle and matching wheels and tires like the RVeep, but until then she’s looking good and ready for her first adventure!

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Thanks Paul! I’m enjoying Overlanding as a hobby. I tried having bonsai trees at one point, forgot to water them and they died. The cool thing about a trailer is that we don’t have to feed or water it and it’s there waiting for you when you return to it....

Sounds like a perfect pet too! Hahahahaha

Reactions: MoreGone

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Thanks Paul! I’m enjoying Overlanding as a hobby. I tried having bonsai trees at one point, forgot to water them and they died. The cool thing about a trailer is that we don’t have to feed or water it and it’s there waiting for you when you return to it....

Sounds like a perfect pet too! Hahahahaha
Saw the IAFF sticker - firefighter?

Reactions: Sheepdog831

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Nice little trailer, looks like it's got potential. You've got the right idea, use it, modify it, rinse, repeat.

What's the reason to get a new axle? Looks like it might be a 2,000 lb axle which should be plenty for a small expo trailer.
If you do upgrade, consider doing something like a torsion beam that improves ground clearance in the middle.

Post up your mods, should be fun to watch!

Dan.

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Nice little trailer, looks like it's got potential. You've got the right idea, use it, modify it, rinse, repeat.

What's the reason to get a new axle? Looks like it might be a 2,000 lb axle which should be plenty for a small expo trailer.
If you do upgrade, consider doing something like a torsion beam that improves ground clearance in the middle.

Post up your mods, should be fun to watch!

Dan.
What’s up VC! I was hoping to be able to get Jeep wheels on it. That was my only reason. At this point I’m not doing anything that justifies a beefier axle other than that. And that’s mostly for looks and a little ground clearance. But if I could get Jeep wheels on it without swapping axles, that would be killer! I’m digging the forum, this helps me a lot with bouncing ideas off of folks and saving a lot of time, money and heartache! I’m not worried much about the time and heartache, but Nikki is my smarter half and I don’t wanna get on her bad side regarding my spending. Lol

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
What’s up VC! I was hoping to be able to get Jeep wheels on it. That was my only reason. At this point I’m not doing anything that justifies a beefier axle other than that. And that’s mostly for looks and a little ground clearance. But if I could get Jeep wheels on it without swapping axles, that would be killer! I’m digging the forum, this helps me a lot with bouncing ideas off of folks and saving a lot of time, money and heartache! I’m not worried much about the time and heartache, but Nikki is my smarter half and I don’t wanna get on her bad side regarding my spending. Lol
Not sure what axle/hub that is but I'd bet money that you could swap hubs to get the bolt pattern you need just by changing out the hubs.
Get the bearing numbers and check something like etrailer.com to see if they sell a hub that would work. Can't remember what bolt pattern a Jeep is, they have almost everything.
Add brakes while you're there too, they come in handy on a tight or steep trail, not to mention if the trailer gets a little wonky at speed.

I was also trying to remember the high-end, fancy pants axles, they are "Timbren" axles, and they will certainly get you the clearance you want but at a price!
And if you put a RTT on top of it, keep the center of gravity as low as possible, you can thank me later! :tonguewink: That 150 or so lbs up there makes a noticeable difference when it's up high.

Dan.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Nice project! It took me about 3-6 months to plan, read forums, change my plans, read forums, change my plans again, then decided to pull the trigger. If the axle is in good shape, the first thing you can do is flip it. It'll lift your trailer about 6". It's cheap, and makes a big difference. Keep us posted on your mods.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

You should have a couple of options for changing your lug pattern. I think a jeep is a 5x4.5 not 100%. Spider Trac has a spacer that will space your wheels out 1-1.5". I also think for about the same price, you can buy new hubs with the right bolt pattern.

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Thanks Caddis, I’m definitely going to look into that. We were in the back country last week and there’s no way our trailer would have made it down those roads. We definitely need to lift it and I wasn’t too sure about the durability of those tiny trailer tires going over rocks. Looks like I may have opened a can of worms on this adventure! Lol

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

All you need is to weld new perches to your axle. It won't work if your axle has a natural bend in it from the factory. If you zoom in you can see where the new perches. And yes, you opened a can of worms, but, you'll get a lot of good ideas for building your trailer.Resized952018010995191932956799.jpg

Last edited:

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

All you need is to weld new perches to your axle. It won't work if your axle has a natural bend in it from the factory. If you zoom in you can see where the new perches. And yes, you opened a can of worms, but, you'll get a lot of good ideas for building your trailer.View attachment 53216
That’s sick!!! I’m asking Santa for welding gear for sure! Lol
I’m not sharing my vision with the wife, looks like it’s gonna get pricey.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

That’s sick!!! I’m asking Santa for welding gear for sure! Lol
I’m not sharing my vision with the wife, looks like it’s gonna get pricey.
The good thing is, you already have the biggest expense sitting in your yard. Trailer parts are really reasonable in price. Besides your time and labor, you might be able to build this pretty reasonably. On the flip side, it depends on what you plan on putting on the trailer (solar, water, kitchen). You already know your going to add a roof top tent, so that's already built into your budget.