What would you do differently on your trailer and why?

• HTML tutorial

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
As the weather is getting warmer here I am starting to contemplate my trailer project. I'm planning on a 4x6 by 24" tall box with a tailgate and 1 (maybe 2) large side doors up front, fixed top with some type of rack system for a RTT. I'd love to have it be adjustable height so I can use an awning and annex on the tent, but that may be too complicated for this first rendition. I also plan to build an axle that will match my track width and use the same wheels as my LR3.

My question for those who have lived with their trailers for awhile is, is there anything you'd do differently and why? Any pro tips that we amateurs wouldn't think about?

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

My trailer is about the same size as what you are planning (little smaller at 4'x5'x24" box). One thing I did with my build was to try to show some continuity between the trailer and the tow vehicle(s). In my case that's mainly a Jeep LJ and occasionally a Jeep XJ. I tried to use some parts from the tow vehicle on the trailer. I had some of the parts and being "used" they were cheap. I didn't start out with this in mind. I wish I had as I missed out on a few opportunities. A few simple things were the wheels and tailgate hinges. I kick myself for not using a TJ/LJ door latch on the tailgate. I may go back and change that in my "spare time".

My trailer link is below ... and it's almost finished.