What to have in a basic tool roll / Tool Bag??

• HTML tutorial

MrMark

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Member #

I am newbie to the jeep world. 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sports Unlimited. It's my daily car and weekend adventure toy.

Nothing crazy, trails, washes and such. Putting together a tool kit for when we pack up the dogs and head off into the wilderness. What would you say are "Must Have" in a tool roll or tool bag to go off road?

What would you want to have with you if you just decided to go off on an adventure for tools?

Thank you for all the help thus far and looking forward to many more new tips and tricks from this group!

HOT-ROD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sanford, ME, USA
Member #

Duct tape, zip ties, knife, couple adjustable wrenches, flashlights, 8 in 1 screwdriver, hammer. (Look up common sockets needed for repairs)

For my truck, I needed hammer, punch, 10 and 12 mm socket and that was my beginner set.

Reactions: Cinipod

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
For my Cherokee. I need everything under the sun to do the simplest of tasks. I don’t leave home without a socket set, a set of wrenches or a couple adjustable wrenches, various socket extensions Wd40. Duct tape, electrical tape, zipties. And a prybar

Specifically for my vehicle. I also carry torx sockets and inverted torx sockets

For the pups I carry a length of rope and an extra carabiner to make a make-shift leash or collar if need be.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Start off with a nice mechanic tool set which come in one of those fold-able boxes. This will give you the basics and will help you identify what specific tools you use most/need specifically for your rig. Definitely find a nice persuader hammer and a pry bar. Get a set of Torx bits... you'd be surprised how often you'll need them. A magnetic tray is nice when you have to keep track of things. LOTS of zip ties. Once you identify which wrenches you'll use most, get extra ones of those sizes.... especially size 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm (at least two of each). Duct Tape...the good kind. Tire Patch Kit is nice for what if's. A good knife which you can sharpen (AUS 8 Steel or CM154 are easy to sharpen and durable enough). A file and rasp are good to have too.

Oh, and a set of gloves.....actually two sets for when they get soaked......actually three sets for when the person that wants to help and doesn't have a set.

Reactions: HOT-ROD