Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Burn your battery and use the molten lead to fix the hole....
No, that's a bad advise, it will work but it's quite toxic, use JB Weld or use your car batteries in series as a primitve DC welder.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Most epoxy's and patch kids need the repair site to be clean and dry. Carry a candle or bar of soap. you can scrape it across the leak and usually plug it. Temporarily at least. Which will buy you enough time for an epoxy repair. Usually the faster an epoxy dries the weaker it is. I've also used panel bond (it is used to glue auto body panels together) to repair a few fuel tanks. 6 years later and they are still dry.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I keep a bar of old school dial soap in my rig for this actually. Used it once to get my old bronco home from Knoxville and it worked FAR better than I thought it should have.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Last edited:
Reactions: Homeguy

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

In a pinch you can jam a plastic bag or piece of umbrella or even a stick in punctured hole. It may not completely stop the leak but it will give you a few more miles than if it were just an open leaking hole. T rex tape to hold the bag etc in and as extra seal is good idea. If your gas tank is plastic jb weld wont stick right and you will leak, plus you will be waiting 24 hrs to cure. Flex seal wont adhere to fuel soaked anything that stuff is glorified plastidip for tool handles, at the very least get some good 100mph tape like t rex tape and cover the hole with multiple patches.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Had a chunk of concrete put a hole on my 68 fast back mustang fuel tank. Walked to a gas station and bought a 1 pack of bubble gum, 5 gallon gas can with gas and then had the 2 women with me chew the gum and plugged the hole. Summer of 1991 in pearl city Hawaii.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Had a chunk of concrete put a hole on my 68 fast back mustang fuel tank. Walked to a gas station and bought a 1 pack of bubble gum, 5 gallon gas can with gas and then had the 2 women with me chew the gum and plugged the hole. Summer of 1991 in pearl city Hawaii.
HubbaBubba it is....like it.

Reactions: Horse Soldier

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Burn your battery and use the molten lead to fix the hole....
No, that's a bad advise, it will work but it's quite toxic, use JB Weld or use your car batteries in series as a primitve DC welder.
Not to throw ice water on a person in a hot shower but you will need to remove the fuel tank and purge the tank of fuel to prevent fire or worse before wielding on a fuel tank.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

I've used this:

4352e6af-5760-4124-a336-a0d7b4716889_1.585eb2afeff0463feba8e33463f72acc.jpeg

with mixed effects. Sure, it fixes gas tanks, radiators, oil pans, etc., just fine, but when I tried it on my wife, it didn't even stop her yapping for more than 4 seconds at a time... Waste of money.

Reactions: Desert Runner

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

with mixed effects. Sure, it fixes gas tanks, radiators, oil pans, etc., just fine, but when I tried it on my wife, it didn't even stop her yapping for more than 4 seconds at a time... Waste of money.
Hahahaha. You may need to use multiple packs for that.
I heard installing a subwoofer under their seat quiets them down. [emoji1787]

Reactions: Lunch Box

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Not to throw ice water on a person in a hot shower but you will need to remove the fuel tank and purge the tank of fuel to prevent fire or worse before wielding on a fuel tank.
You don't have to remove them, just drain well and fill with inert gas. Exhaust from another running vehicle will work in a pinch, trailside. But welding rarely works on newer plastic tanks. :)

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

They make an epoxy that is most of the time kept by the register at your local parts store. You mix the two componets and it hardens like steel. I used this when I was building lowriders and would drag through the gas tank....(GO AHEAD AND JOKE) lol but anyway that was a must have. I've drug a half dollar size hole and fixed it no problem. It also held for months hahaha

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If were talking a temporary solution and a roundish hole just grab some marine grade rubber plugs and use them if its a long cut or scrape use some plastic bag stuffed in crack with flex tape or t-rex tape holding it in . Long term you will want to remove and replace the tank or repair it the right way, wash it out with water really well then weld it if its metal if plastic you just melt material into the hole/ heat the area and smooth it out fill with water again and look for leaks then if no leak drain it and let dry for a few days before reinstalling and filling with fuel.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

All good ideas in this thread. But I still prefer to have two tanks on a vehicle. Build them out of 1/8 inch plate with shut off valves and then travel the off road with little worry.

Reactions: 64Trvlr