What side of your vehicle did you set your RTT, and why?

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Looking at pros and cons on what direction to mount my RTT on my 99’ 4Runner. The backend is not an option. Right now, I think the front of the tent and ladder will be best going on the passenger side. What do you think? Why did you set yours to a certain side? Vance.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Honestly, I agree with you about putting the front on passenger side. I'd put a 170 degree awning on drivers side for shade when I didn't need or want the rtt up. Lol no particular reason though really, I just think it looks better that way.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Honestly, I agree with you about putting the front on passenger side. I'd put a 170 degree awning on drivers side for shade when I didn't need or want the rtt up. Lol no particular reason though really, I just think it looks better that way.
John D.,
Thanks, that is my thinking if I add an awning someday. Vance.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
rear, with the annex it makes it easy to get inside vehicle even if raining, and leaves sides available for awning.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
My RTT opens up to the passenger side. I did this for three basic reasons.
1) I generally get into the driver side of the cabin when out and about and did not want the ladder or cover to interfere.
2) Fuel tank is on driver side and figured a little counter weight couldn't hurt.
3) Tent floor would contact rear hatch if opened when rear facing.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I know this is overlanding and all but if you were to stop at a camp site the site is on the passenger side of the parking space (if in an RV hook up site).
Given this I would agree on the passenger side as well, just like RV/camper/5th wheel doors are on the passenger side.
But as far as dispersed camping sites go, I guess it doesn't really matter which side it opens towards.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

rear, with the annex it makes it easy to get inside vehicle even if raining, and leaves sides available for awning.
Renegade,
With my hatch style door opening high enough to clear my head, the back side is not an option. The back was my first choice though. Thanks, Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I know this is overlanding and all but if you were to stop at a camp site the site is on the passenger side of the parking space (if in an RV hook up site).
Given this I would agree on the passenger side as well, just like RV/camper/5th wheel doors are on the passenger side.
But as far as dispersed camping sites go, I guess it doesn't really matter which side it opens towards.
Prerunner1982,
I did not think of the RV door being on the pass side, but that is true. Most likely, will be mounting my tent, with the front door facing the passenger side of my vehicle. Thanks, Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My RTT opens up to the passenger side. I did this for three basic reasons.
1) I generally get into the driver side of the cabin when out and about and did not want the ladder or cover to interfere.
2) Fuel tank is on driver side and figured a little counter weight couldn't hurt.
3) Tent floor would contact rear hatch if opened when rear facing.
KonzaLander,
All you wrote are valid reasons to have my RTT door facing the passenger side. That is how I will be doing my install of my tent! Thanks for your answer and reasons why. Vance.

Reactions: KonzaLander

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Passenger side for state park campgrounds. And all your utilities on the left side.

Not that you can't just nose into a spot instead of backing in. If you want to be backwards. But like someone already mentioned, my fuel tank is also on the left, and 38 gallons will make the truck lean left 1/4'' or so.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Passenger side for state park campgrounds. And all your utilities on the left side.

Not that you can't just nose into a spot instead of backing in. If you want to be backwards. But like someone already mentioned, my fuel tank is also on the left, and 38 gallons will make the truck lean left 1/4'' or so.
MidOH,
Yes, that is true, thanks for your input! Vance.

MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
I ended up putting it unfolding to the driver side. The reason for this was the annex being near the tailpipe on the driver side. I doubted I'd be running the truck with the tent setup/annex but figured a hot tail pipe up against the annex fabric would do some damage. Had no other real reasons. Figured I could always turn the rig around if needed. Think it also depends on the vehicle - with my truck no doors or hatch was going to be interfered with on either side.