What maps and GPS for the Trans America Trail?

• HTML tutorial

Johnnyswell

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey all, new member here on the forum and I'm looking to see who's done the TAT in their rig. I'm wondering what GPS gear you guys would recommend and where to get/download the maps. I'm thinking about getting an iPad Mini w/ Cellular and GPS. I would obviously download the maps for offline mode but just wanted to see your preferred apps to use on it.

Thanks for any support and help!

Also, sorry if there is already a similar thread out there. New here!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey Steve, I know where to get the maps and all.
Sorry for the confusion. In your first post, you'd asked about hardware, and where to get/download the maps, hence, my link.

Lots of us use a tablet and GAIA, some other hardware and map application. As @v_man noted, there are a lot of discussions as to what hardware/software folks use that you might peruse.

JDub

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bath Springs TN
Member #

I use a regular iPad mini with the Bad Elf GPS dongle and it works like a champ. Make sure to always have some paper maps of the areas as they never fail or break down. Some of those mountain roads up in NC are confusing and you can run out of fuel pretty fast climbing those hills. Have a good trip as the TAT is a great ride.

Reactions: Nickzero

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

@trailspinTV did a pretty cool Vlog on YouTube regarding the TAT. I know they skipped around a little, but I'm sure they have plenty of pointers to share.

I binged the entire series over a 6 day span a couple weeks ago.

Also FWIW... Gaia GPS on a tablet with area maps preloaded is the way to go in my opinion. It's probably better with a GPS receiver on board, but I've never had an issue tracking or following when using the off- line maps.