What lighting should I put in my plate bumper?

• HTML tutorial

King

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Dolcourt
Member #

I am brand new to lifted vehicles and to wheeling. It has always been a dream of mine to go out into the wilderness to both explore and camp while being completely independent from having to go to the store every day.

Although I don’t have any intention to drive trails in the complete darkness I would love to be prepared for the unexpected.

I currently have a Coastal Offroad plate bumper with a slot for two pod lights that face out at a 27 degree angle from the rig and a center facing single row 20 inch light bar. I plan on one day having ditch light brackets installed on the corner near the A pillars.

IMG_7014.jpg

I do plan on taking the rig up to Lake Tahoe a few times during the winter and have been reading that Amber/yellow fog lights work well to cut through snowy conditions. Should I getting a multi-function light bar in the middle and run the smaller pod lights as flush mounted flood lights? Should I run dedicated Amber pod lights and have the center lighting be white?

Would it be weird if I installed flush mounted Rigid pod lights on the sides even though the plate faces away from the rig?
IMG_7132.jpg

Any input would be great!

Reactions: MysticZT4R

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would go with Baja Designs. They have a bunch different reflector cones to get the light where you need it. They also have covers to change the color of the beam. They are not cheap, I have 3 up front and am extremely happy with them. I out shine my friends by a lot.

I would mount the squire lights facing forward, straight ahead pencil beam. The light bar is more for short and wide.I would slave them off the high beams so you can turn them all off for incoming traffic. It's a pain to be flipping switches for turning down lights and driving.

Reactions: kilby

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

x2 for Baja Designs lights.

American made, lifetime warranty. They arent cheap amazon LEDs but the performance shows. I had a customer remove his 50" Amazon light bar because his 2x Squadron pros on his bumper were brighter, cleaner and projected further.

I would recommend a pair of Squadron SAE lights for your side pockets. They are SAE compliant but still quite bright and need to be properly aimed for road use. Then add a 20" S8 bar for the center section in the driving beam pattern(mix of wide and narrow) and relay off your high beams.

I run a pair of LP6s on my Jeep and they are absolutely too bright to be run on the road and are overkill for 90% of people out there.