Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Everyone's got their go-to's. Maybe something that was handed down? Something you picked up at a yard sale? Something you sought after and researched? Pocket or fixed? Long or stubby? Maybe not a knife at all? Hatchet or tomahawk? Bolo or Bowie?

I want to know the hardware you use around camp! Show me your kindling splitting, wood whittling, tree chopping, steak slicing, tooth picking, package opening, brush clearing hardware.

What do you use, by who, for what and why?

(Let's keep it strictly utilitarian and shy away from deeper discussions on metallurgy and the like [you know who you are])

I will also allow items you no longer use if you have a constructive reason for others on why.

Reactions: TxJeeper75

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Everyone's got their go-to's. Maybe something that was handed down? Something you picked up at a yard sale? Something you sought after and researched? Pocket or fixed? Long or stubby? Maybe not a knife at all? Hatchet or tomahawk? Bolo or Bowie?

I want to know the hardware you use around camp! Show me your kindling splitting, wood whittling, tree chopping, steak slicing, tooth picking, package opening, brush clearing hardware.

What do you use, by who, for what and why?

(Let's keep it strictly utilitarian and shy away from deeper discussions on metallurgy and the like [you know who you are])

I will also allow items you no longer use if you have a constructive reason for others on why.
I just got one of these that I carry when I go camp and hike.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Since I also backpack camp, most of my stuff is pretty lightweight and random.

I keep a Kershaw Camp Axe that I use for kindling and pounding stakes.
A Rada 12" Fillet knife which rocks for fish.
A Buck 140 Paklite Skinner
And a Bahco Laplander for general purpose clearing and wood gathering.

I had been using a KA-BAR Pestilence Chopper the last 4 years or so. I scored it off a buddy who was accidentally sent the Chinese made unit over the US item he ordered. It snapped at the hilt this 4th of July weekend, so I'll be in the market for another option.

Reactions: Road

Mountain Top

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Kelly
Past 4 years I have been using a Boker Vox Rold 6" fixed blade. Has a single grind blade that holds a good edge thought a couple trips. Can hold high on the knife for finer work and a little back to chop smaller branches and such. Sheath sucks but the knife itself is great for $100.

Reactions: Shakes355

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I received one of these in a subscription box about a year ago. It feels good in the hand, plus it’s an automatic so can be open or closed one handed. The blade holds its edge nicely.

Reactions: k9sar and Shakes355

Scott Perkins

Rank II

Contributor III

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Perkins
Member #

I always have a Leatherman Wave on my hip. And after losing a beloved (and expensive) pukko, I went the other way and picked up a couple of simple Morakniv bushcraft knives. They're nothing to write home about, but they are simple, have comfortable grips, are easy to sharpen, scandi-ground, and brightly colored so I can find the darn things if someone drops it in a muddy creek. (And if I can't, a new one is $20-30, so it's not the end of the world.)

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
My edc is a kershaw leek, I keep my Grandpa's buck in my hip bag and I keep a morakniv chisel knife in my door pocket. Of course my Leatherman wave is in my overnight bag. Overkill? Maybe. But if you need it, and don't have it, you sing a whole different tune.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Daily carry is a Kershaw Brawler spring assist. Cheap enough I don't care about using it for nearly everything. When camping I use it for small tasks including cutting up food. Less cutlery to carry to just use my pocket knife for eating, it cleans up fine. I also typically carry a traditional fixed blade KABAR for larger tasks. But if I need to cut wood or something I just get out my battery powered saw :P

Reactions: Shakes355

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Can't go wrong with a Gerber!
I'm not an expert but it seems like a good balance between quality and price. I like the fact I can carry vertically or horizontally with the same sheath (also molle compatible)

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I always have a Leatherman Wave on my hip. And after losing a beloved (and expensive) pukko, I went the other way and picked up a couple of simple Morakniv bushcraft knives. They're nothing to write home about, but they are simple, have comfortable grips, are easy to sharpen, scandi-ground, and brightly colored so I can find the darn things if someone drops it in a muddy creek. (And if I can't, a new one is $20-30, so it's not the end of the world.)
I recently received a Morakniv Companion Spark. It seems a decent knife, and the fire steel works very well.