What is your Opinion? - BFG K02's or Duratracs

• HTML tutorial

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

Hey Team! A month ago, I purchased a 2005 4Runner, and now that I sold my previous vehicle, I'm upgrading tires. I'm comparing BFG K02's and Goodyear Duratracs. I've heard great things about both! In my size (265/75/R16) , the K02 only comes in an E Load rating, while the Duratrac comes in a C. I've heard people love the BFG's, but would E be too stiff and heavy for my 4runner?

Have you tried either of them? Which do you prefer? I run mainly in Southern and Northern Utah. No crazy rock crawling, but lots of backcountry trails.

Open to other suggesstions as well

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I ran the Duratracs on my H3 and Liberty and loved them. They worked great for snow, mud, sand and rock. They are somewhat loud on road though. I put over 55k on a set with no wear issues. I will say however that if you don't maintain proper alignment they wear extremely fast. If you use your rig a lot on cement roads and as your daily driver, then I would go for the BFGs because they are more suited for all aspects compared to the Duratracs.

Reactions: Captain Josh

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I was faced with this same choice and went with the KO2. I wanted the additional sidewall and carcass strength and the Duratacs, while very good, don't offer as much sidewall protection. I have been very happy with the KO2 and will probably keep buying them. This is my 3rd set of BFG AT tires and the KO2 is a huge leap forward over the KO, especially in snow.

I have had no problems with the E rated tires, and I daily my rig.

Reactions: buckeyerubicon

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I'm a big fan of the BFG's too. I ran their KO2 before switching to the KM2. One thing to note about the sidewall rating. That weight rating is only when the tire is inflated to the max pressure. As you air down, the overall weight capacity of the tire goes down too. Looks like the specs for your size and my 255/85/R16's KM2's are about the same. Max 80 PSI (cold) will support 3,415 lbs. I'd like to figure out what the rating is at a more normal PSI, like 40 and 20.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Well that was easier than I thought. A live chat with a BFG rep on their site yielded this info. I used your KO2 265/75/R16 as the example tire.

@80 PSI it would be 3415 lbs.
@40 PSI it would be 2100 lbs.
@35 PSI it would be 1910 lbs.

So it's not quite a linear dropoff rate ( where 40 PSI would be 1707.5 lbs.) and rather interesting to see some other numbers.

Thanks @Preston Tiegs! This has actually been on my mind for a while now and it's good to have an answer.

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Nice, looking good! Don't think you will be disappointed. Ive been running the KO2s on my rig for a going on a couple years now and I have nothing bad to say about them. Have been fine for daily driving use, and have run them through the desert, mountain tracks, and snow and haven't had any problems. Not much wear to report yet either.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I know I'm late to the party, but people refer to these even after the original poster has made their choice, so here you go.
Having run both of these, the top 3 things I noticed are
1)BFGs have very long life
2)Duratracs have wider voids between lugs and are 2/32 of an inch deeper tread when new. AKA, better in snow and mud.
3)while BFGs added no road noise over a highway tire, the Duratracs add a slight hum that you only notice if you want to.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

TJTigger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Louisville KY
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Freese
Member #

I Have KO2s and they have been great. Had the original KOs on my old jeep, got 70k out of them. A buddy of mine has Duratracs and they have been great as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

RichardS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
Member #

I hear the KM3's are being tested. I'm going to check those out when my Nitto Trail Grapplers need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Love my KO2's. I was torn between them and the Cooper AT3, but went with BFG after hearing about some thin sidewall issues with the AT3 and driving someone else's KO2's in mud. I've had KO's previously and they turned into slicks in east coast mud, but the KO2 is a lot better.

Reactions: RichardS

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

You won't go wrong either way the duratracs are better in mud but I had old kos get me out of the worst mud I've ever been in

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I ran with BFG AT-KO on my Disco for a few years and the tires certainly did a large amount of miles,
Sadly ive swapped D1 for D90 and tires are a tad small for me to run with,

however the D110 i use semi-regularly (i dont drive it often, however my dad drives it every day) - that runs with a brand new (about 6 months old now) set of AT-KO2 and they run as great as my KO's did - nice and quiet (considering the inside of a D110 puma..) lol