What is the difference between a tow strap, snatch strap, and kinetic , and when would you use each?

• HTML tutorial

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Tow strap, snatch strap, kinetic strap, I'm confused.

I have, and have used a tow strap to pull a vehicle out of the snow. I know not to leave slack, and to just pull steadily.

And I've seen videos of trucks getting a running start and jerking a vehicle out, but I've also seen where they yank pieces off of said vehicle. Is this where a snatch strap would be used?

What's the difference between a snatch strap and kinetic strap.

Please enlighten me?

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

A kineric rope is designed to be used with a running start. They are awesome it acts like a rubber band. I'm pretty sure a snatch strap works the same way. I think someone with more knowledge might know, but with snatch straps i think after using them they have to rest for a period of time before being used again.

Sent from my LGMS631 using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

So a kinetic rope is used for a "kinetic" recovery AKA a recovery where you use a little bit of momentum from the tow vehicle to "pop" the stuck vehicle out of whatever it's stuck in. They are incredibly effective at retrieving people if used correctly.

A snatch strap is similar to a kinetic rope, but usually a little less stretchy, and depending on the width can handle a little more.

Kinetic ropes and snap straps should NOT have any hooks on either end, they can, and will, become a bullet if anything breaks.

A tow rope is just a non flexible rope, not particularly useful for recovery, but is great for towing on a flat ground, but shouldn't really be used for recovery, the lack of stretch puts way more stress on the vehicles and the extra jerk can bring the rope over its limits.

Tow ropes can sometimes have hooks, but is still better to have no hooks.

Unfortunately most people use tow straps with hooks for recovery, mainly because they don't know anything else...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

FlyJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

El Dorado Hills, CA
Member #

After using a kinetic rope this weekend, I will never use anything else. Those things are freaking awesome. Best investment I have made so far for off roading.

Straps will break stuff!

As for what is a snatch strap, I'm not going to touch that one. I will just leave it for others to answer.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks guys! I have a 30' Smittybilt tow strap, but I kept seeing the videos of folks using stretchy straps, so I thought I'd ask. It seems that a kinetic strap would be a good addition to the tool kit.

Thanks for the input!
Steve

Reactions: 1derer and O.Dfj

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

So a kinetic rope is used for a "kinetic" recovery AKA a recovery where you use a little bit of momentum from the tow vehicle to "pop" the stuck vehicle out of whatever it's stuck in. They are incredibly effective at retrieving people if used correctly.

A snatch strap is similar to a kinetic rope, but usually a little less stretchy, and depending on the width can handle a little more.

Kinetic ropes and snap straps should NOT have any hooks on either end, they can, and will, become a bullet if anything breaks.

A tow rope is just a non flexible rope, not particularly useful for recovery, but is great for towing on a flat ground, but shouldn't really be used for recovery, the lack of stretch puts way more stress on the vehicles and the extra jerk can bring the rope over its limits.

Tow ropes can sometimes have hooks, but is still better to have no hooks.

Unfortunately most people use tow straps with hooks for recovery, mainly because they don't know anything else...

If I had a penny for every time someone has told me I needed to get a strap with hooks as I was about to hook on to their vehicle (with a proper strap and shackles) I would be a rich man....

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

If I had a penny for every time someone has told me I needed to get a strap with hooks as I was about to hook on to their vehicle (with a proper strap and shackles) I would be a rich man....
I have also seen a few people try to link two straps together using a shackle in-between... If either strap snaps or the shackle breaks then you have a mass of metal waiting to break something or someone.

As someone who works with rated shackles for my job, I am surprised how many people use them incorrectly... Some quick notes about shackle use

Shackles should never be cross threaded, If you a bored and try to thread the pin in backwards, or are in a rush and thread the pin in wrong, that shackle should be retired then and there

Shackles should only be loaded with the pin fully secure. The pin doesn't need to be tightened past finger tight, but it does need to be threaded in all the way

Shackles are only ment to take load in one direction. One side of the load goes on the pin, the other side goes on the clevis. Shackles are not meant for side loading and will fail prematurely when side loaded

That's the short list

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

When I starting going offroading I only had a tow strap from a Walmart emergency kit. It broke the 2nd time I used it. Then I broke and old (30+ ?) strap that came with a jeep I bought. Took a while to learn that decent gear will go a long way. How much aggravation is worth $20 savings?

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Tow straps are meant for towing (ha!) as in two vehicles at a constant speed.. Snatch/Recovery straps are for getting a vehicle unstuck. Kinetic ropes are the newest technology in snatch straps.

I carry a tow strap along with my snatch straps, they work well as winch extensions or even tree straps if you need to anchor a winch or pull.. I also carry good old fashion chain - if I need to pull a tree out of the way or end up dragging something out of the ground I don't want to ruin straps pulling them through the mud..

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Great information! I have a front bumper in order that can hold a winch and am planning on upping my recovery game. I have always been a little unsure about these. I have a tow strap but only used it twice.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Zargon

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Thanks guys! I have a 30' Smittybilt tow strap, but I kept seeing the videos of folks using stretchy straps, so I thought I'd ask. It seems that a kinetic strap would be a good addition to the tool kit.

Thanks for the input!
Steve
I think the tow strap is the preferred method for winching out with, say, a High-Lift, as you really don't want stretch in a slow pull type scenario. So also still a good thing to have. The appropriate tool for the appropriate situations!

Reactions: Steve and Zargon

Huck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Romeoville
Member #

Look into the new soft shackles. Much safer then a steel shackle. Also same thing with winch line. Synthetic cable is safer then metal. If it snaps it falls and looses the kinetic energy.

Also remember never fight gravity. Pull down hill with a kinetic rope, not up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Most of us will have 2 straps of some kind...the strap you're not using, or a blanket, should be lying in the middle of the working rope/strap. If something does break the dead weight will pull the working rope to the ground and act as a parachute. Since its halfway down either end it shouldn't get farther than that. I think Warn has a weighted apron in their kit.

'11 Rubicon ; '09 Outback ; '09 Yamaha FZ1

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet

I have, and have used a tow strap to pull a vehicle out of the snow. I know not to leave slack, and to just pull steadily.

And I've seen videos of trucks getting a running start and jerking a vehicle out, but I've also seen where they yank pieces off of said vehicle. Is this where a snatch strap would be used?

Please enlighten me?
What I was taught: Snatch strap, and a kinetic rope, are variations of the same thing (flat strap vs round Rope). Both are kinetic devises that you get a running start, to build energy during the recovery. Both of these devices are interchangeable. They both need to be rested between use. They called these technique Dynamic Recovery.

A tow strap is for Static Recovery. They are made to not stretch, and store energy. It is used for consistent pulls. A tow strap, can also be used as a winch line extender. Other items in your recovery kit, such as tree savers, are intended to be used for static pulls. These devices also do not stretch. Your winch line is for static recovery, and can break if used in a Dynamic way. These devices are not intended to absorb kinetic energy, then release the energy.

I hope this helps, I'm trying to paraphrase the many explanations I have been given in classes.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

From ARB USA - http://store.arbusa.com/Recovery-Gear-C19.aspx

"SNATCH STRAPS
This ability to stretch is a distinction between a snatch strap and a tow strap, ARB snatch straps are elastic when under load whereas a tow strap is not, the benefits of which are twofold. Firstly, the kinetic energy generated by the elasticity actually aids the recovery itself, and secondly, the elasticity greatly reduces the likelihood of vehicle damage during recovery. The enormous weight of each 4x4 and the weighted force of whatever caused the immobilization puts enormous strain on the point where the straps are attached, and without some elasticity, there is a substantial risk of damaging the vehicle. For vehicle recovery, a snatch strap is more suitable than a tow strap.

All ARB snatch straps are woven and fabricated to ARB specifications, and tested by a NATA approved laboratory. The 17,500 lb model is recommended for most 4WD vehicles, with the 24,000 lb & 33,000 lb straps better suited to heavier applications."

I have the 17500LB Snatch Strap and have recovered several vehicles with it. It has a soft feel to it when you try to pull another rig with a small running start but it also works well in a more static pull.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Please enlighten me?

I've only seen the "kinetic" style straps used in mud situations where you are attempting to "pop" the vehicle out of the mud. I can't see using it in other situations.... maybe deep snow?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Tow straps have 0-3% stretch
Recovery straps have 10-15% stretch
KERR (Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope) has 25-30% stretch

Leave the tow straps at home. You can use the other two types in terrain like sand, mud, snow. They're not good for use if you're stuck by a rock or log. As stated before, never use a metal shackle to connect two ropes. Use a soft shackle, or the old stand by, a rolled up magazine. Make sure you loop the ends properly around the magazine.

Lay the strap(s) in a zig-zag pattern. That way the stuck driver can see the strap getting taken up and will know when to expect the jolt. It also prevents possible binding around itself when laid out this way. Remove any twists along the length of the strap.

The driver doing the recovery should pull forward until the strap is under slight tension first, and pick a landmark around them. That way, they too will know when to expect the jolt of the recovery. Don't put the pedal to the metal on the first attempted recovery. It's better to take a couple tries to get just enough force than it is to go full force. Remember "mechanical sympathy". Your vehicle is your ride home!

Reactions: Desert Runner