What is the best trailer hitch type and its proper application?

• HTML tutorial

HIGH Maintenance

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Honolulu, Hawaii
Member #

Looking for some input on the best hitch class, possibly a Class 4 or 5, receiver hitch.

This hitch will be primarily for OB applications such as towing a camping trailer with Roof Top Tent (RTT) similar to a Patriot Camper. The hitch will also need to serve as a recovery point when thing don't go as planned.

In my off road experience, I've always used a Pintle Hook but the slop between the eye and clasp was almost unbearable at times especially with a light load.

Definitely I can go-ahead and rule out Granddad's old school ball hitch, which has as much use off road as a pair of high heals in my opinion, but I'm sure someone is warming high heals out on the trail. :tonguewink:

While searching the droves of information on the internet, I came across the DO35 Coupling from our brothers from down under in Australia.

The DO35 Coupling appears to have the best attributes of a Pintle Hook without the slop during acceleration and breaking while also maintaining a full range of articulation.

Maybe someone from Australia could chime in on the DO35 Coupling or others could comment on their experiences towing an offload trailer.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I don't like pintle hitches due to the jarring and rattling. I fab'd my own. Check out my trailer build thread.

Reactions: Horse Soldier

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Either Lock-n-roll or Max Coupler are the way to go. I have used both.

Wherever you go, there you are. Sent from my phone.