What is the best thing you bought for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A Rubicon..... does it all.
Next choice a Square Drop trailer.

Full size bed that is always made, zero setup, just roll in and sleep.
It is always loaded, home at 5pm Friday, couple up and leave town, buy a few groceries and beer and we are out of town in 15 minutes.
Even better in the morning if it is raining, just roll out of bed and drive. zero packing, nothing is ever wet.

Home late or early Monday, drop the trailer and go to work.

Best buy was the trailer.
Next best buy was the TJR which is soo compact, manuverable, simple, durable and capable.

DSCN1486.jpeg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Best tires.... 7.50R16s
After 33s. 35, I'm now on super skinny 31s. 7.50R16s, a rire size going back to the 1960s and the most populat tire size in Africa or Asia.

The week I bought them I hooked up the trailer and did a 500 mile trip thru the mountains. The year before I averaged 14mpg on 33x10.50R15s. This year I averaged 17mpg towing a trailer. Without a trailer my best was 17mpg, without the trailer now my best is 22mpg.

Best thing I did was buy skinny, light 7.50R16 rubber, increasing my range by 100 miles. A huge difference overlanding. And it is easier to get 22mpg now than it was to get 17mpg before.

My Square Drop Trailer is all about convenience.
The TJR over say an F150 is all about compact, manuverable capability.
But the tires are purely about performance and increased range, Smoother ride a a 50% cost saving are bonuses.
In 2 years, 50K miles, I don't feel I lost a bit of capability stepping down in tire size. Actually in winter thru slush and standing water I made incredible gains.
I can cross the centerline, pass a Dodge diesel, come back thru the slush, while he is white knuckled trying to stay in the ruts.

Last edited:
Reactions: OverLamb24

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I mean, overlanding is vehicle based so technically everything is a vehicle part.... lmao.

I guess I will say materials for my trailer was the best thing I bought since it allowed me a lot more freedom with how I do trips.

Reactions: Road and Billiebob

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've said it many times, that getting my trailer is the single best item I've purchased to expand what I can do when wandering and exploring North America. Far better than the trailers I've made or converted and much better than having just vehicle alone. It's allowed me to do so much more than I would have otherwise and provided, what for me, is the perfect foundation for adding what I want and need for my style of extended travel and basecamping.

If that's considered vehicle, then my answer would have to be, pretty equally, my expansive 360 awning, canoe, and eBike.

Reactions: MegaBug and Rath

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
+1 to my trailer being the “best” thing, at least in terms of making it possible to do more traveling. Such a time savor to get out of town quickly and have minimal chores when returning home.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The bucket list
A real fridge
A couple of awnings

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
My wife would say the lightspeed oversized multipurpose pop up. Quick easy setup and take down. It’s one of the better solutions for a freestanding pop up I’ve found at a reasonable price.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a 5" memory foam mattress

no matter if we are camping in the trailer or in the camper shell on the back of the truck, that mattress is key to getting a good nights sleep. some of the worse back aches came from tent camping and the air mattress deflating or something. if i've slept well, i can handle at lot other inconveniences.

GXExplorer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bergstrom
Member #

Our Iceco Fridge and a Nemo Roamer mattress. I’m getting soft in my middle age. It used to be recycled throw-away styrofoam box cooler from the alley behind the town florist and a 3/4 length 1/2” thick army foam pad My grandfather gave me.

Reactions: Road

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Fridge and DeLorme/Garmin InReach. The fridge made food/drinks easier and the InReach allows me to get out there by myself with no one worrying.

Reactions: Sherwood and Road