What features does your favorite air mattress have?

• HTML tutorial

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
So, @Pi_Baker and I are looking for a new, larger air mattress for when we're on trips together...

As our current options are either getting all the backpacking mats out (light but too thin...) or using the jeepsleep mattress which works, but its too small outside of the Jeep for the 3 of us.
SO we're looking for something that is preferably like, full or queen sized, but like. Durable. All of the airbeds/air mattresses I've used in the past for home use and they've all been terrible and when they stop working well i tend to just use backpacking gear at that point. Anyways, if anyone had any cool leads, we're all ears. The challenge is that we're both tall and thats made finding one fairly tough.

The jeep airmatress we have is GREAT because of how thick it is and the general durability on that has been awesome so far. We've had 20+ nights on it and its been awesome, but trying to find that sort of durability in a regular air mat has been a challenge. Anyways, curious if anyone had any recs or pointers to some that have held up long term and are repairable.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
We have an REI kingdom "sleep system" which comes with blanket, sheets etc. You can also get just the air mattress and its one of the best ive laid on for large size.

REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed - Queen | REI Co-op

If you just go backpacking gear like i normally do, i really love anything NEMO puts out. I have their Astro Pad Long Wide version and its been the best pad i've used so far. I prefer a cot where i can, but even then i'll still throw the air pad on top of the cot because i'm selfish, lol.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
We have an REI kingdom "sleep system" which comes with blanket, sheets etc. You can also get just the air mattress and its one of the best ive laid on for large size.

REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed - Queen | REI Co-op

If you just go backpacking gear like i normally do, i really love anything NEMO puts out. I have their Astro Pad Long Wide version and its been the best pad i've used so far. I prefer a cot where i can, but even then i'll still throw the air pad on top of the cot because i'm selfish, lol.
The kingdom pad is one thats towards the top of our list...

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
The kingdom pad is one thats towards the top of our list...
The only downside is its a big sucker even packed down. But thats also the reality of a queen size air mattress i guess. If you can wait REI typically does some pretty good sales throughout the year. We picked our up on like a 20% off sale i think.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

We bought an Exped Megamat 10 when REI had a 25% off sale. Still pricy, but I really like it, and everyone of our friends, who have it, highly recommended it.

You might want to check it out at your local REI.

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
The only downside is its a big sucker even packed down. But thats also the reality of a queen size air mattress i guess. If you can wait REI typically does some pretty good sales throughout the year. We picked our up on like a 20% off sale i think.
We bought an Exped Megamat 10 when REI had a 25% off sale. Still pricy, but I really like it, and everyone of our friends, who have it, highly recommended it.

You might want to check it out at your local REI.
We'll be checking out both of these, thanks. Next is going to be seeing what fits in our ground tent... :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Rolando

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Built in airpump.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Built in air pump that runs off my JKU inverter
Most important? Supports me (305lbs) and my dog Maximus (175lbs) without an issue.

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

I've tried many of the mattresses that you would find at Walmart or Amazon (i.e. Coleman type brands) and let me just say that none of those mattresses truly provide ergonomic support needed for the way I sleep. I did find that if you can afford to spend more on comfort, the Exped, Thermarest, and NEMO brand air mattresses will take your air mattress comfort to the next level. They're expensive(but for good reason), they are engineered for comfort, unlike many of the cheap brands. Like I said, they're pricey but worth it if you have back, shoulder or any other support issues when sleeping. Just do a google search for those brands above. Best of luck.

Reactions: Rolando