What emergency lights are the best for Off Road?

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

Pindal

Rank V

Advocate III

California
Member #

A few days ago I got this notice, about lights for emergencies. I think it's a good idea to be included in our Off Road staff.
Some people prefer the "flares" other people think that better to install it on the platform.
Some people think that the best color for these lights is white, red or yellow.
I think that this option is very good, thinking not only in the cities, but also in case of an emergency in which we need to be rescued or go to rescue someone. Thinking that it is so important that rescuers see the person they are looking for as you are at the teams that are looking for them. Maybe I would add, too, a handheld reflector.

What do you think? Would you recommend them? Do they have any experience on which and where to use them?
I share the video they sent me.

britz

Rank V

Advocate III

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham Callsign
K6YTI
We started carrying pucks (not that brand) in our volunteer fire department rigs. In summer, there is too much of a fire danger for flares, and the strobe helps responders find fire and emt calls in our heavily wooded mountain roads.

lukes3415

Rank II

Traveler II

Townsville
Member #

I don't think that I have ever seen any products like this on the Australian market. Thanks for the share Pindal, I think this may need some more investigation on my part.

John Lime III

Rank II

Traveler II

Anchorage, AK
Member #

Ham Callsign
KL4OF
I have ones that look just like that I got at Sams Club years ago. I just change the batteries annually. I agree that most of the time the fire hazard posed by regular flares outweighs the benefits. I put one in each of our vehicles and when needed they magnet to the fender.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank V

Advocate II

Southern Nevada
Member #

A few days ago I got this notice, about lights for emergencies. I think it's a good idea to be included in our Off Road staff.
Some people prefer the "flares" other people think that better to install it on the platform.
Some people think that the best color for these lights is white, red or yellow.
I think that this option is very good, thinking not only in the cities, but also in case of an emergency in which we need to be rescued or go to rescue someone. Thinking that it is so important that rescuers see the person they are looking for as you are at the teams that are looking for them. Maybe I would add, too, a handheld reflector.

What do you think? Would you recommend them? Do they have any experience on which and where to use them?
I share the video they sent me.
Have a set, given to me as a Xmas gift, years ago. I like these as a gear item. Safer than flares, especially in fire season areas.

avgjoe624

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I have a set of powerflares. they are quite amazing. waterproof, and highly visible from any direction. They have multiple settings and colors.

Also, just thought that this would be a fun time to bring this up.... when I was in high school we did an experiment with orange road cones. we put them in front of the main doors into the school, parking lot, cafeteria, bathrooms, in front of classrooms that were full. and all in all, for some reason people will just not walk past a road cone. lol. "no one messes with a cone" so I also have some collapsible reflective cones for if I ever need them.