What do you use? Ham radio or CB radio?

• HTML tutorial

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hi, I just joined and applied for membership just recently (A friend introduced me to this site). Well I am curious to what this group typically use for communication, when out in a caravan?

The other group I explore with typically use Ham radios. Majority are license and a couple are not (We're still on their case about getting their license).

I saw the Mojave video, and the part that stood out was when the com portion came up, most of the group have CB radios. Does this group lean more towards CB?

I'm not going to debate which is better *cough*ham*cough*. This is more for when I decide to go on some trips with you all, I could be prepared. I've sold my Cobra wx75 (I think that was the model), so I'm running strictly ham using Yaesu FTM 400D and a couple of Wouxun & BaoFeng HT.

This is my official 1st post, so be gentle.
Cheers.
-VC

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@K6VCC First, welcome aboard!

There are several threads in the Overland Communication forum which either have polls on what members use, or discuss merits of one vs the other. Take a look at what's already available.

I'm moving this to the appropriate forum.

Reactions: TerryD

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

depends on how you define "better" ?

overall CB .. it is the most basic, easiest to use and most accessible to anyone/everyone and good enough for most trips
and thus why it's been the required form of communication on most every trail run I've been on in the last 20+ years.

Add in a cell phone which everyone has anyway for long range coms and that covers most places in the US up to the point where you might actually NEED something like a SAT-phone or HAM or where some dedicated petrochemical-exploration-base-camp setups would be far better,

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
I think most of us that can will have multiple types in our vehicles. I have amateur radio primarily, however I do plan on installing a GMRS radio and CB radio as well.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
depends on how you define "better" ?

overall CB .. it is the most basic, easiest to use and most accessible to anyone/everyone and good enough for most trips
and thus why it's been the required form of communication on most every trail run I've been on in the last 20+ years.

Add in a cell phone which everyone has anyway for long range coms and that covers most places in the US up to the point where you might actually NEED something like a SAT-phone or HAM or where some dedicated petrochemical-exploration-base-camp setups would be far better,

One mans opinion.

You mentioned the Mojave Road trip. That would have been much more difficult if all we had was CB. They were OK for short-range comms, vehicle-vehicle stuff, but with a group that large, it was essential that at least some of us had the ability to communicate longer range. I was the lead driver most of the time, and I had some awesome tail-gunners (@TOMB1957 , @Reichling , @jujubes55), and with that we were able to wrangle the large huge number of rigs without issue. With vehicle mounted radios (mine is a Yaesu FT-8800), we could talk across 8 - 10 mile distances using every watt we could muster.
Impossible with CB. How do I know? We tried - fail.

Where we were, cell phones were not an option, and by-and-large, SAT phones are cool and would be nice, but I don't think it's practical unless you're planning an expedition alone, across vast uncharted territory. For that I have a Garmin InReach Explorer.

I think most of us that can will have multiple types in our vehicles. I have amateur radio primarily, however I do plan on installing a GMRS radio and CB radio as well.

This exactly. For now, there's a lot of controversy about which is *best*.

Whatever the group you run with has, you should have, right? However, I would say that once you go Ham, CB feels like a step back in time.

...another mans opinion, worth every cent that I paid for the ink to type it. :smile:

Dan.

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

That's why I asked. I use to run both, but the group I typically run with, mainly uses ham. If this group uses CB a lot or a good chunk has CB, I may pick one up again for back up.

It's not uncommon for a group of 10+ rigs to split up in the middle of a run. When the tail gunner has a ham, they can communicate with the lead to give them a heads up of the situation. Thus giving people the option to either wait or continue forward, rather than holding up the whole group.

Granted, I've only been off roading for six years, but I've noticed that in the past couple years, there's a growing trend of off roaders moving towards ham. CB is still good because of the ease of access and price, but once you go ham, it's becomes pretty convincing why some prefers it.

Well this is just one guy's opinion. This thread was created just so I and some would have an idea of what to be prepared for when heading out with OB.

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

not saying there aren't very valid reasons and many great benefits to ham

Perhaps it is in part an east west thing (thou My cb worked fine in both Colorado and Moab being we always kept the truck in front behind of you in sight) or more a where you travel most commonly but for the most part we don't have long long trail or large large dead cell spots out here and most offroad-parks also seem to require/recommend cb ... So yes in your Mojave Road trip there then was a defiant "need" for that sort of range at least on the lead/tail vehicles ...

still "I" see the "best option" as being the one that the "most people" will have access to ... and there biggest problem with HAM isn't the technology or how will it "works", it's the learning/licensing, which isn't something most/a lot of people will want or are going to bother dealing with. (and yes the last thing I need is one more gov-license/fee for something f-that; I want my coms "stupid simple" because I only use them a few times a month .. it's certainly a big part of why I have only seen a handful / few dozen people with it over the years vs hundred of cb's) as to the frs hand-held are a nice idea and valuable for assisting in spotting or winching there range in the mountains was as a fraction of the cb's again at least from what I have seen.

Ideally some future tech will have the range and reliability of ham combine with the availability and easy of use of a handheld cell/frs units ... until then ??? I guess "best" is subjective or will have to be judged in the specific needs case by case

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've got CB and 2 meter in my truck. I use the CB so rarely I actually have the antenna removed and it rides inside the truck. But, as already stated, almost everyone has CB on trail rides. The group I normally ride with uses 2 meter, but the event I'm going to in a few weeks will be CB but will also be running 2 meter if you like.

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
Being new to this whole overlanding thing and purchasing my first CB radio, I really don't understand why this community still considers CB as a viable communication device. I feel like FRS/GMRS radios are so much better and don't require any licensing assuming you stay off of the GMRS bands.

Maybe I received a dud for a CB but the distance and clarity is terrible compared to my Midland FRS radios.

-mac

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
FRS/GMRS use FM modulation which is much clearer than CB's AM modulation. Range, if the CB has a decent antenna, is about a draw. Its why both are licensee-by-rule and why those frequencies were chosen. CB will occasionally talk on "skip" when the ionosphere is right, and that will get you hundreds of miles, but shouldn't be relied upon as we are at a solar minimum.

Reactions: macr88

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
So what do the CB people think about SSB? I have a Uniden 980SSB, but I have not used the SSB side of it yet. The SSB has 12watts so that triples the distance of the normal AM side of CB. Like stated earlier, the fact that you need a license to operate on GMRS and HAM is most likely why I do not have one of them.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Doesn't triple the distance.

SSB is more efficient, using all the power to send the data rather than wasting 4w on the carrier. Not commonly used or found in CBs so its rare you'd happen into a group that has it. Most amateur HF voice is on SSB with a small subset using pure carrier AM for the novelty of it.

We're talking trail coms so its going to be what people commonly have available that gets used.

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
I really think FRS is the way to go. They're relatively inexpensive, portable and easy to use.

-mac

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

For those who are interested, the Wouxun KG-UV950P has access to CB and Ham frequencies. Though not loved by some due to the fact that it crosses over to different frequencies and would be too powerful for CB. Price is about $300.

A majestic unicorn farted this glorious message

Reactions: KyleGrant

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

10 years ago I started with a CB as it is very easy and cheap to get started with. Over the years HAM became more popular with NCLR Club and I made the switch before a trip to Death Valley. At that point the CB antenna was only used as a flag pole for sand dunes. I had to blow the dust off the CB unit for Off The Grid last year and quickly destroyed the antenna because I only used one bolt to secure the mount on my tire carrier. Both of those issues will have to be addressed before I embark on the next OB group trip.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I run CB and a 2m/70 in my rigs, but with the mountain shadows in the region I spend most of my time, I don't rely on them for much more than the rare close proximity trail buddy. But having a CB is invaluable if you are near logging areas and drop in on them running loads.

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

APRS is a really nice feature when in a caravan. If your GPS is compatible, you can track your group member that also has aprs.

Reactions: TerryD