What do you think should be my first Mod?

• HTML tutorial

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

Mine was a good set of winter tires. Up here in Alberta they're definitely a help to have.

After that came a bumper, as I do a fair bit of highway driving and it's added peace of mind against deer and such.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

While some don't consider tires a "mod", I'd say that's the first thing I did that genuinely increased my capabilities beyond stock.

1. Tires
2. Undercarriage Protection
3. Illumination
4. Lift

Was more-or-less my personal order of ops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 15Canyon and TerryD

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Tires, lift, tires again if lift calls for it. Let the engine breathe a little better, so muffler and intake. Bumper and winch. Then a good cooler that isn't an overpriced one that rhymes with seti

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Bk6418

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

If you have OEM tires on your Tacoma, then tires should be your first mod. I swapped mine out with less than 800 miles on my truck because they were terrible in the snow. Getting dedicated winter tires wasn't something I was interested in so I opted for the snowflake rated KO2's.

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Tires and make it all 5 of them. You can't do anything without tires you can trust.

Tacoma specific items that need done.
AAL or better for the rear. Stock springs are junk
Relocate the trailer wiring before it gets torn off.
I'd at least throw a set of Bilstien 5100's on it just to improve the ride and lift the front.

After that I'd start with sliders, bumpers, armor depending on what type of offroad you are doing. And don't forget the comfort items that make trips more enjoyable. They make it a lot more fun to go.

Scott K

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley Springs, WV, USA
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
KEILMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1BOP
Depends where you plan on going and what you will do with the rig on your adventures?

First and foremost research, research, research............wait did I say research?

Your rig is capable out the box; drive it, get used to it and see what pops up after that. Take your time and get function over bling. Also Remember you get what you pay for, you may try to save a buck, however when you replace that item 6 months to a year later you end up paying double or triple instead of buy once, cry once and getting what you really need or want............

Good luck with your rig!

Reactions: No Known Boundaries

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I know your talking about your rig. But I wanted to put the bug in your head to pick up a good medical kit. Now back to the fun stuff. Tires,skid plates,lockers, radios,shocks,springs,etc etc WEEEEE!

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Skids (all of them), Tires (all 5), Sliders (body protection), Recovery Gear (strap, hitch plug with shackle), Lift (added capability), Portable compressor (gotta air down for safety), Hi Lift and mount (this can get you unstuck), CB (group communication is key).

That is a good start and will protect your truck and help you have a much better trail experience!

Reactions: Lindenwood

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

If you're really going to go Overlanding, I would say lights, sin you can see what's going on; OBA, jack and recovery system. Everything else you can drive to. Have fun!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

There are plenty of good choices here already but I would certainly be in favour of making a plan with the ultimate goal in mind. You don't want to have to buy things twice if you can help it. So if you buy tires, then do a lift and decide you want to run bigger tires you need to buy again. So plan where you want to end up and try and build it that way. Sure things will change but hopefully this approach will save you some money along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk