What do you prefer when you go away...tent...caravan...overland trailer..

• HTML tutorial

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

hi guys

I was wondering with the wide range of options for accommodation and living on the road ...what your preferred choice's are...I have had a couple of caravans and they are great but you can't take them off road. I still own two tents but as I get older I just can't be both setting up anymore and the girlfriend isn't to keen either...so we are looking at overland trailer, best of both worlds but with off road ability. I was going to build my own but I work away through the week and time was a factor... so I am planning on buying a professional built one to my specs. I decided on waiting until the landcruiser is paid off then buy one then.In the mean time I will plan what I want and what I need for it to suit my requirements...I wondered what other preferred and your favourite options..

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We live in a 5th wheel camper full time while overlanding in our 4Runner and Turtleback Trailer. We did the ground tent and tote boxes for a few years but didn't get out much because the time to pack and un-pack was getting to be a bit much with a 2 year old. Now we simply hook up the Turtleback on a Friday, swing by the store, and off we go. LOVE. IT.

I'm not sure on import laws to Scotland from the states but I highly recommend you check out the Turtleback option here: www.TurtlebackTrailers.com If you're interested I can see if export to Scotland is an option.

Reactions: Scotty lock

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
If my kids are there I will put up a tent
If I am with my wife, or solo I will crash in the bed of the truck. If bad weather I'll use a tarp over the bed. I dig sleeping under the stars.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a 10 man tent if the wife and kids are going and I just got a 4 man tent for the times it's just one kid and/or the dog and I. We're talking about building a travel trailer but I don't think that will include a tent built into it. It's just to make up space when we travel in a mid sized SUV with 3 kids and a dog. It'll be nice to put the dog in the back of the Xterra and have the majority of the gear on a trailer.

We're discussing possibly living out of a RV/Camper when the kids are off to college in a few years and my wife can start travel nursing. Then I'll do laundry and go exploring and be a well kept man! :tonguewink:

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
All depends how long and were , if am taking the misses it the CV if its me and my mates could be tarps or tents or a mix of both , my trailer will open up another avenue with iam curently exploring a van covertion 4x4 crafter coverted to a campervan check out wildsoul vee camper van build on you tube this would give a even more misses friendly option lol

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

When i eventually am able to head out to the big yonder i like to camp out, got a new large tent i am itching to try out as it was significantly cheaper and more practical to make camp than to have a roof tent (at present)

Depends where in UK I end up setting up and of course the typical British Weather!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

For me the roof top tent is always my favourite option. I like the comfort and usually find it a bit mor comfortable in warmer climes. For the odd night away though I'm happy on the ground in then simple pop tent. Always fancied a camper trailer but could afford or justify it

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Kevigizmo

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

My options are limited to a Safari Bow ground tent or an old school "once orange" Force 10. But I see the appeal of a trailer with something like a 3 Dogs Camping scout tent. Or maybe even a 4x4 camper van.

Spurs14

Rank 0

Contributor II

Uk
Hi guys at present running a landrover 110 with a roof top tent , works great , but in a ideal world and if I had the money I'd go with an alu-cab pop top conversion and sleep in my rig , so much easier to set up and pack away ,

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
My favorite solo setup was my old backpacking kit of a homemade 10x12 Silnylon tarp with bag and pad underneath, but one of my dogs wants to hunt all night. Now, if it's just me and the two "kids", it's the back of the rig, but if the boyfriend comes with, I bring the cabela's 12x12 cabin tent since he has to pack everything but the kitchen sink.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy