What do you do for a living?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Chetta58

Rank V

Contributor III

Walla walla wa
Member #

Worked in IT as a systems admin/network admin for 25 years then moved to Logistics/Project Management for the last 10 years before I retired in December last year. Now I irritate the wife of 40 years and drink a lot of coffee (which helps w the wife irritating immensely)

Reactions: eagle_A40

Citizen Rob

Rank II

Contributor II

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSM
Service manager and a partner in a heavy equipment dealership. We have a fleet of over 50 loaders and excavators and I'm the guy that gets the phone calls at 3AM asking what happens if someone accidentally filled the hydraulic tank with diesel fuel...

Qaz

Rank I

Member I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

I work on computers and 3d printers, when there is a fire nearby I switch my jobs and start Wildland Firefighting.

Mike harpe

Rank V

Influencer II

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Marketing manager at Americas tire love it amazing company to work for. Great benefits great pay
Tell fuel wheels to quit slacking with this trade war. Damn trade war has my May order for d632 zephyr wheels at an eta of lol

Kokopelli

Rank I

Member I

Sulphur, OK
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Herrmann
Member #

Which rental company did you work for?

The first half of my career(20+ years), I worked for my family's agricultural dealership, then I moved on to Heavy Equipment Rental companies(another 20+years). The last 14 of the 20, I worked with a crew of three other techs, maintaining a fleet of over 100 mobile cranes(in 6 close-proximity locations). I would have retired sooner, but my supervisor asked me to stay on a while longer. He was/is such a good guy, I couldn't refuse him.
Mobile Crane maintenance is a lot easier than heavy equipment maintenance.
Birds of a feather. I worked for more years than I like to recall in heavy equip maint. First in road construction (pretty much built I40 across northern az) and finished up in a granite rock quarry. The work is definitely something you have to enjoy......

Mike harpe

Rank V

Influencer II

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Just an HMMWV would make for an epic overland rig. Every time there is a surplus auction I find myself itching to make a few bids on one - especially since I can't even find the civilian H1A version that isn't priced ridiculously. I would love to pick one up with the 6.5 turbo diesel (won't complain with the 6.2 naturally aspirated), have the whole thing sprayed with rhino lining and then go dominate trails. Not being able to register a decommissioned HMMWV for on-road use is what shuts down my desire to buy one. There may be some kind of process for adding the required safety equipment and going through the state DMV for getting it registered like you would for a rat rod or a custom motorcycle, but I have no idea what all that wound entail.
Personally the hummer was the most uncomfortable truck I’ve ever driven aside from the 900 series 5-ton. And the NA and turbo diesel sucked so much ass I can’t even begin to complain. That or the turbo engine would be the first thing I’d rip out. But the leg room just SUCKS sooo bad. Come to think of it, none of the vehicles had good leg room. That’s why I love my power wagon. Lol

Last edited:

Mike harpe

Rank V

Influencer II

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

KFC in high school, is army from 2001-2008 at ft. Carson Colorado. 3cav and 4id then reserves and guard 2010-2014 California furs and Texas.

Cdl otr trucker for central refrigerated before swift bought em out, trac sand hauler in Texas.

Short stint in Florida doc. (Not a fun time) let’s see how many people judge a book by its cover.

Retired thanks to the va.

Currently single stuck in South Georgia till 2024 looking for friends and the special female to be the gypsy to my nomad.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Citizen Rob

Rank II

Contributor II

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSM
Personally the hummer was the most u comfortable truck I’ve ever driven aside from the 900 series 5-ton. And the man diesel sucked so much ass I can’t even begin to complain. That or the turbo engine would be the first thing I’d rip out. But the leg room just SUCKS sooo bad. Come to think of it, none of the vehicles had good leg room. That’s why I love my power wagon. Lol
I would agree 100% that the HMMWV is an uncomfortable ride unless you are 5'3". I'm 6'4" and have got around 100K behind the wheel of an M998A1 and let me tell you about the suck. If the engine is hot and that fan comes on, you are going to lose power and not just a little. it's like throwing a drag parachute out behind you. And when that engine and transmission is hot, you can't rest your leg against the doghouse. Sure you can add some dense foam padding but you are already packed in like an Apollo astronaut and space is a premium. The back seat is ridiculous. Knees well into the seat in front of you and not enough room to have your toes point straight forward. Fully loaded or more likely fully overloaded, our PLS trucks carrying containers of artillery shells were able to accelerate faster than the HMMWV's in the convoy although we did have a higher top end but not by much. We could do maybe a hair over 70mph and maybe a little over bit then that damn fan would kick in. Here is the "Fishbowl" before we added recovery chains and tow bar and storage baskets on the back. The 3/4 plywood is actually lined internally with 6 inches of packed sand and a 1/2 inch steel plate. We never had anything penetrate it. My gunner, Fish, sat on a home made mount that could spin 360 degrees made out of a truck wheel hub and axle. The wheel was welded to a steel plate bolted to the bed, the axle came up between Fishes legs and supported a chair and a bracket for the M249. The barrel of the SAW could not drop below the roofline or inside the Hadji Armor and Fish could simply kick off the walls to position and brace himself.

138.JPG