What do you do for a living?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

rho

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG6YB
I hate that the pay grades are so different for scientists and engineers. Not one of our missions would fly without your wrenching.

I'm not involved with InSight.

I've been involved in:
Magellan (as a student, image processing)
Galileo SSI
THEMIS (MGS)
HiRISE (MRO)
Cassini ISS
JunoCam
OCAMS on OSIRIS-REx

And some others.
Awesome!!We did some design study stuff with Juno and I got to support my groups hardware on Osiris-rex on a bunch of different phases of hardware processing while the bird was undergoing integration and testing. A hightlight of that program was spending a lot of time talking with some other engineers and techs about mountain biking in CO and wheeling out there. A runner up was going out to launch base.

20160620_183924.jpg

Reactions: OtherOrb

OtherOrb

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE7QIF
Awesome!!We did some design study stuff with Juno and I got to support my groups hardware on Osiris-rex on a bunch of different phases of hardware processing while the bird was undergoing integration and testing. A hightlight of that program was spending a lot of time talking with some other engineers and techs about mountain biking in CO and wheeling out there. A runner up was going out to launch base.

View attachment 107647
O-REx is one of my favorite missions! Thanks for helping build such a capable ship!

Did you get to watch the O-REx launch? We watched from the Kennedy Apollo center where the Saturn V lives.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG6YB
O-REx is one of my favorite missions! Thanks for helping build such a capable ship!

Did you get to watch the O-REx launch? We watched from the Kennedy Apollo center where the Saturn V lives.
No, didn't get to see it in person sadly. We watched the stream of the launch and that was a better view I feel :P

Reactions: OtherOrb

OtherOrb

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE7QIF
No, didn't get to see it in person sadly. We watched the stream of the launch and that was a better view I feel :P
Oh, YES. The video streams are always a better view. Much, much better.
I got to take some enthusiast friends so they could experience a launch, which was way cool.

Laurits

Rank III
Supporter +

Traveler III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham Callsign
HamHead
I retired about 8 years ago, but I used to be a Proposal Manager & Writer Consultant to Military Contractors seeking to win large, off road capable tactical vehicle fleet contracts. It was really interesting, exciting and personally rewarding. Now I have joined the professional coffee tasting industry along with NorthStar96, but I have still found time to do a resto/mod on a 27ft Robalo center cockpit sport fishing boat and am currently finishing up a 5 year resto/mod on a '88 Bronco XLT. Can't wait to get it on the road and trails.

Last edited:

oldmopars

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Field service tech and Customer service rep for a large Water Jet manufacturing company. I used to be on the road, now I work from home mostly, however I still get out some.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

eagle_A40

Rank V

Advocate I

Louisiana (lower right corner)
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Member #

Nice, I used to do the same for a large Equipment rental company. Its hard work. Glad you survived.
Which rental company did you work for?

The first half of my career(20+ years), I worked for my family's agricultural dealership, then I moved on to Heavy Equipment Rental companies(another 20+years). The last 14 of the 20, I worked with a crew of three other techs, maintaining a fleet of over 100 mobile cranes(in 6 close-proximity locations). I would have retired sooner, but my supervisor asked me to stay on a while longer. He was/is such a good guy, I couldn't refuse him.
Mobile Crane maintenance is a lot easier than heavy equipment maintenance.