What do you do for a living?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Director
Staff member

Influencer II

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
Since I come to this forum to think about trips away from work... meh... it is not important. My real job is my family and taking meaningful time and trips with them.

Reactions: Road and Tahoe

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Supporter +

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Big and heavy, but the landing is good. Very subject to crosswinds because of the flat sides.
Add up cross wind with flight pattern error possibilites and it could get fun! Lol

Rough terrain/uban area landing training haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mellowdave

Rank V
Founder 500

Pathfinder I

Austin, Texas
Member #

Add up cross wind with flight pattern error possibilites and it could get fun! Lol

Rough terrain/uban area landing training haha

Yeah the Army is discouraging rotary wing operations due to the needed increase in altitude to compensate for drop speed causing lateral drift issues. Speaking as a pathfinder, I think the variables for formulas probably needs updating as well, I've seen some dramatic drifts with the barge.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigH2OChief

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Supporter +

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Yeah the Army is discouraging rotary wing operations due to the needed increase in altitude to compensate for drop speed causing lateral drift issues. Speaking as a pathfinder, I think the lateral drift for formulas probably needs an update as well, I've seen some dramatic drifts with the barge.
Hey good on you for making pathfinder!

I can see how altitude would be an issue with rotary wing, thats unfortunate.

timberwolf_120

Rank V
Founder 500

Advocate I

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

For the last 14 years, 5 months, I have been playing Air Force and am currently a C-17 Crew Chief. I actually just reenlisted which will take me to my 20 year mark. I'm still trying to figure what I want to be when I grow up....Guess I better figure that out within the next 5.5 years!!
I hear horror stories about the 17, how do you like it?
I'm I'm a 135 gac troop so I pretty much do nothing and I hate it lol trying to get into the CE world

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SIG383

Rank 0

Contributor II

Germany
I hear horror stories about the 17, how do you like it?
I'm I'm a 135 gac troop so I pretty much do nothing and I hate it lol trying to get into the CE world

I started off on KC-135s up in Grand Forks. I would go back to them in a heartbeat! The -17 is easy to work on but I would rather work on the older jets. This one has dumbed me down when it comes to troubleshooting.

timberwolf_120

Rank V
Founder 500

Advocate I

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Nice! I'd love to fly on a 17 over the 135...things loud as hell and uncomfortable as all get out for the time we are in it

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Supporter +

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Nice! I'd love to fly on a 17 over the 135...things loud as hell and uncomfortable as all get out for the time we are in it

I remember the flying from Qatar to Kuwait with a buffalo chained down like 2 feet from my toes on a c17.... when yall banked for turns... my pucker factor was at level zanex.

Reactions: timberwolf_120

murps

Rank V

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

For the last 14 years, 5 months, I have been playing Air Force and am currently a C-17 Crew Chief. I actually just reenlisted which will take me to my 20 year mark. I'm still trying to figure what I want to be when I grow up....Guess I better figure that out within the next 5.5 years!!
my bro is a pilot in HI on c17s. Know a Luce?