What do you do for a living?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

DeltaBravo

Rank II

Traveler III

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG1N
Murphy,

DON'T DO IT!!! Retirement isn't for the faint of heart! You have to be prepared, and ABLE, to spend your days doing WHAT YOU WANT! It's tough and will break anyone not up to the TASK!

Think of it - overlanding, wine tasting, traveling, camping, cruising, food traveling, etc. - can you do it? Please be sure! :innocent:

Dennis
Retired, Retired, Retired (Wife's retired, too)

Magic Mike

US West Region Member Rep

Influencer II

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YKV
Murphy,

DON'T DO IT!!! Retirement isn't for the faint of heart! You have to be prepared, and ABLE, to spend your days doing WHAT YOU WANT! It's tough and will break anyone not up to the TASK!

Think of it - overlanding, wine tasting, traveling, camping, cruising, food traveling, etc. - can you do it? Please be sure! :innocent:

Dennis
LOL

Murphy Slaw

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Southern Illinois
Member #

Murphy,

Dennis
I've been on vacation all of last week practicing.

But all I did was fix a bunch of crap I've been putting off. I have an old house and a little cabin in the middle of 30 acres of woods, and one of them ALWAYS needs something.

My retirement is going to be like having a full time handyman job......

sjackson2369

Rank I

Contributor I

Sioux City, IA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

What type of vehicles do you work on in the AF, HMMWV's and such or other stuff?
I’ve done work on HMMWV, other M series junk, but my location doesn’t have that anymore. I work mostly on ford 3/4 ton trucks, Chevy G vans, general purpose vehicles type stuff, but I also work on airport fire trucks, aircraft refueling trucks, and material handling stuff like forklifts and such. Add in some small engine stuff in the mix occasionally. Basically if it has a steering wheel I have to deal with it. Even sometimes if it doesn’t.

Reactions: JoelIII

JoelIII

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

I’ve done work on HMMWV, other M series junk, but my location doesn’t have that anymore. I work mostly on ford 3/4 ton trucks, Chevy G vans, general purpose vehicles type stuff, but I also work on airport fire trucks, aircraft refueling trucks, and material handling stuff like forklifts and such. Add in some small engine stuff in the mix occasionally. Basically if it has a steering wheel I have to deal with it. Even sometimes if it doesn’t.
Sounds like you get some good experience to use in the civilian sector. In the Marines I work on the big wheeled vehicles but my MOS doesn't touch other equipment. They break us down to separate platforms, good experience if I wanna work on big rigs one day or anything with a caterpillar engine in it.

sjackson2369

Rank I

Contributor I

Sioux City, IA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Sounds like you get some good experience to use in the civilian sector. In the Marines I work on the big wheeled vehicles but my MOS doesn't touch other equipment. They break us down to separate platforms, good experience if I wanna work on big rigs one day or anything with a caterpillar engine in it.
We aren’t a large enough shop to all have different functions. We all just kind of attack whatever it is with wrenches. A lot of my ideas for electrical control comes from the fire trucks and aircraft fueling trucks. It’s so simple but it works so good

JoelIII

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

We aren’t a large enough shop to all have different functions. We all just kind of attack whatever it is with wrenches. A lot of my ideas for electrical control comes from the fire trucks and aircraft fueling trucks. It’s so simple but it works so good
My MOS does work on the flight line fire trucks but if you aren't stationed on an air base then chances are you'll never see one. A buddy of mine worked on those at his previous assignment and he told me they can be a nightmare to troubleshoot for electrical problems.

sjackson2369

Rank I

Contributor I

Sioux City, IA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

My MOS does work on the flight line fire trucks but if you aren't stationed on an air base then chances are you'll never see one. A buddy of mine worked on those at his previous assignment and he told me they can be a nightmare to troubleshoot for electrical problems.
An Oshkosh/Teledyne P23 would make an awesome overland rig