Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

My go to movie is Easy Rider. Can't watch it without gearing up and hitting the road. The first time I watched it was in a Kentucky January snow ridden morning. My friend had a triumph and me an '76 CB550. We layered up and made it to Knoxville before freezing up and turning back.

Deliverance. Aside from the obvious downside with certain banjo players and pig squealing, the idea of gearing up to hit a spot of country one last time, that will be forever changed, is a driving force inside me to go now; not tomorrow.

For books it's Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness". What this gentleman accomplished is my life long goal. He almost lost his eyesite due to an accident. Got out of the hospital and decided he'd spend the rest of his days looking at beautiful things. He went to Alaska, fell some trees, and made his life for the next thirty years by his own hands.

I keep my interest up reading lots of Bushcraft books, wilderness fauna identification, etc. I'll post the titles of my favorite reads including philosophies by influences such as Nick Overman as well.

Look forward to hearing from you all. Stay safe.

Reactions: Ryan Overstreet

Enthusiast I

I like the outdoor series by Gary Paulson called hatchet, there is a whole series. The series goes Hatchet, The River, Brian’s Winter, Brian’s Return, Brian’s Hunt.
I found this series around my freshman year in high school, he is an awesome author and would highly recommend him to all ages. He has many other great titles also!

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I like the outdoor series by Gary Paulson called hatchet, there is a whole series. The series goes Hatchet, The River, Brian’s Winter, Brian’s Return, Brian’s Hunt.
I found this series around my freshman year in high school, he is an awesome author and would highly recommend him to all ages. He has many other great titles also!
Dig, I'll check it out. Thank you

Reactions: OverlandBrennen

Enthusiast I

You’re welcome, I’ll think of more as time goes on. You should also check out the movie Wild America and Into the Wild, Into the Wild is also a book. I would highly suggest you to look into Gary Paulson once again, I do appreciate him greatly.

Reactions: PB&Me and Tupenny

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

There are so many....

For books I'd have to say these are my top three.

"First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover" by Tim Slessor

"I'd Rather be on Safari" by Gary K. Clark

"Cry of the Kalahari" by Mark & Delia Owens

There are two movies that really get me wanting to get out there. Don't laugh, but one is "Out of Africa", the other is "The Ghost and the Darkness".

Reactions: Tupenny and PB&Me

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Books:
Blue Highways
Travels with Charlie

Movies:
180° South
...and probably others I can’t think of right now!

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Bushcraft and Advanced Bushcraft by Dave Canterbury are interesting reads. Also SAS Survival Handbook by Wiseman, recommended to me by my brother.

I just downloaded a few freebies from Kindle after doing an "Overland" search (have not read yet) if anyone is interested:

- The Oberllyn's Overland by J. Traveler Pelton

- The Overland Trail by B.N. Rundell

- The Prairie Traveler A Handbook For Overland Expedition by Randolph Barnes Marcy

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I like movies you don't see the ending coming
six sense
the uninvited **
book of Eli
fight club
the first saw ( the other ones sucked )
the prestige

books
born to run.
Never wipe your ass with a squirrel.
Eat and run
A walk in the woods
running and shit

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Movies & series off the top of my head:

Dust to Glory (documentary on the battle that is the Baja 1000 off road race)
Love the Beast (movie about obsessing over a project vehicle you've had for ages)

Long Way Round / Down (throwing a leg over a motorcycle & taking on a trip around, well... the world)
The World's Fastest Indian (never giving up on a dream, no matter the years, no matter the struggle)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (recently discovered this, self aware comedy about escaping dull life & chasing adventure)

Reactions: PB&Me

GXOutlaw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West New York, NJ
Member #

That the first whole book series I read as a kid. Fantastic reads!

Reactions: OverlandBrennen

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
My first inspiration came as a child reading Mush, You Malamutes by Bernard R. Hubbard, SJ and seeing collections of his photos and artifacts from Alaska. To this day, I still enjoy watching his films that have been published on YouTube, like Alaska's Silver Millions, Blue Ice and Highway to Adventure.

Of course, these are all very special to me as Father Hubbard was my great-great-uncle and my grandfather accompanied him as his radioman for most of his life.

Reactions: PB&Me

GXOutlaw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West New York, NJ
Member #

My go to shows are Dirt Everyday, RoadKill and the old Top Gear specials, particularly Patagonia, Vietnam, North Pole and Bolivia.

Go to books are Hatchet and White Fang

Go to movie is Into the Wild and 2 Lane Blacktop

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
October Sky. The parallels are uncanny. I saw Sputnik as a small child and I made a vow to work in Space. I came from an abusive home and left while still in highschool, and have been on my own every since. I now design and test all manners of satellites and rockets.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Several years ago, started buying books on the local histories of/personalities from the areas we were in. Picked up Exploring with Custer, The Black Hills Expedition and The Lokatas and the Black Hills at a general store in Custer State Park. Read Thomas F Walsh, Businessman & Mining Tycoon and Ouray, Chief of the Utes while in the San Juans. Legacy of the Teton's, Homesteading in Jackson Hole is a good one, too.

A typical day for those settlers/trappers/miners/Indians would be looked on as cruel and inhumane today. I don't know exactly when "the good old days" were, but they were most definitely not then.

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Movies & series off the top of my head:

Long Way Round / Down (throwing a leg over a motorcycle & taking on a trip around, well... the world)
Yes! Long Way Round! Can’t believe I didn’t mention this one!