What are your favorite adventure trailer gadgets and "hacks"?

• HTML tutorial

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I recently got my first adventure trailer (a So-Cal Teardrops 459 Krawler), and have been setting it up for trips while I wait for the mountains around me to thaw and get a first trip in. When I was (much) younger I did a fair amount of backpacking. In more recent years I've done a lot of RV'in. So I've gone full minimalist for backpacking, to full "glamping" with larger trailers and RVs. The adventure trailer slots somewhere in between.

I've picked up a few handy items to maximize the space in the 459 (like this or this) but I'm interested in your favorite gadgets or hacks to save space and make the most of your adventure trailer?

Combo3.jpg

-TJ

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The first thing that comes to mind is the simplest: TV trays. I picked up three cheap at a drugstore that had a sale on end-of-the-season stuff.

I keep one TV tray in my rooftop tent on my trailer. It lives there full time, open or closed. It provides a stable flat surface on which to keep a drink, keep a bottle upright, and keep my daily pocket stuff or things I want to use in the RTT from getting lost in the bedding, especially my pocket flashlight. The tray keeps all my stuff within easy reach, or if I need to go out in the middle of the night.

Also provides a solid flat surface if working on something up there, or drawing up a sketch for a project. The raised edge is the key to it's usefulness.

TVTray-RTT_2391-900.jpg

I use a second TV tray to hold my two most-often-used sauté pans, their lids, two dishes, and sometimes other small cooking stuff. It fits nicely right on top of my two-burner stove, which stays full-time in my kitchen box. The tray fits even with the kitchen box lid closed. All my most used cooking and serving stuff is right there, ready to use:

beavertree-kitchen_6793-900.jpeg
When setting up camp, I take the whole tray, sauté pans, plates, and all and move it right to a nifty little GSI Micro Table I've put on my trailer wheel. Meant for backpackers, with folding legs and two heights, it folds up into a maybe 3" cube the length of the slats for hiking, though I keep it flat with just legs folded up when packed.

The table, with legs folded out to the lowest height, fits snugly on my trailer wheel and under the fender, right behind my galley counter. The TV tray sits right on top, and keeps my pans and plates handy but out of the way, taking up no counter space. I love to cook and experiment with recipes for camp cooking, and am working on a Roaddude Food Cookbook, so like having a clear unobstructed counter on which to spread out, with everything handy.

galley-900.jpg

The third tray serves all kinds of purposes around camp and gets moved around a lot; from providing a good work surface that is portable (like below when making solar cable extensions in camp) to moving meals into the van or shore, etc. Also used next to the hammock, keeping books and drinks out of the dirt, etc.

cable-camp-workshop_9871-900.jpeg

I bought the trays knowing I'd use one in the RTT, then saw how handy they were around camp for general use as well, so am glad I splurged the extra couple bucks for two more. They take up no room and weigh practically nothing.

It's probably the single most simple, but efficient and effective, camping hack, especially with the Micro Table, in my whole rig.

Other trailer space-saving gear would definitely include my FRO Cub Packs, Wolf Packs, and Flat Packs. Lightweight, thin-walled though rugged, straight-sided, and can be packed anywhere. From up top on the rack, to on-end in the nose box, to thrown in the cargo bed, they've served me really well.

They are actually South African ammo cases, private branded and sometimes available by other outfits. Both the Wolf Packs and Cub Packs interlock with their own, stack so nicely, and strap down so well. That they are straight-sided is a considerable space saver over containers with slanted sides, and especially over double-walled containers with slanted sides. I just got four more for use in my new van layout.

The Flat Packs, as the name suggests, fold flat when empty, then unfold and zip together. Very handy for occasional storage, or like I have in the nose box below, where I squeeze them into a space not quite large enough for another Cub Pack.

The best price right now on these, because of the free shipping (for over $50, I think?) is from ExploreOutdoorUS.com. They also have the Wolf Packs, but not the Flat Packs. Other places right now have lower prices but charge for shipping, making each pack more expensive than Explore Outdoor.

#NoAffiliation; I just like the way they do business.

cubpacks-nosebox_6620-wmkd.jpeg

packinglanes-2-900.jpg

And, speaking of space savers that fold flat when not in use, I wish I could find more of these:

folding-carrier_6021-700.jpeg....folding-carrier_6025-700.jpeg

They are from the local grocery chain, though not available any more that I can find. Maine has had a "green" policy for years that charges you for plastic bags at .05 ea or something, if you don't bring your own bags.

These fold flat, measure 10.75" x 14.5" flat, and open up to 10.75" tall x 14.5" wide x 10.25" front to back. They have a stiff bottom that folds down when open and carry a ton of gear. I use them a lot with my trailer.

Wish i could find more, though I may make some that are even more durable from Cordura and tempered hardboard. Anyone interested?
grocerycontainer-8645crop-900.jpg
I find it a fun challenge to be efficient and save space on long adventures, and have a bunch of other space saving hacks for van and trailer and general camp use, but I've blabbered on long enough :tonguewink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn and Slambo

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Here's a few of mine:

Swing out BBQ mount arm that I built from some scrap laying around the shop:

BBQ2.JPGBBQ.JPGBBQ1.JPG

Adjustable stove mount made from discarded department store shelf brackets and leftover dzus fastener from an old racecar project:

STOVE.JPGSTOVE1.JPG

Solar water tank made from an aluminum dog water tank that I found at Wilco for $30 and had powder coated black:

TR6 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: mep1811 and Road

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
The first thing that comes to mind is the simplest: TV trays. I picked up three cheap at a drugstore that had a sale on end-of-the-season stuff.

I keep one TV tray in my rooftop tent on my trailer. It lives there full time, open or closed. It provides a stable flat surface on which to keep a drink, keep a bottle upright, and keep my daily pocket stuff or things I want to use in the RTT from getting lost in the bedding, especially my pocket flashlight. The tray keeps all my stuff within easy reach, or if I need to go out in the middle of the night.

Also provides a solid flat surface if working on something up there, or drawing up a sketch for a project. The raised edge is the key to it's usefulness.

View attachment 194846

I use a second TV tray to hold my two most-often-used sauté pans, their lids, two dishes, and sometimes other small cooking stuff. It fits nicely right on top of my two-burner stove, which stays full-time in my kitchen box. The tray fits even with the kitchen box lid closed. All my most used cooking and serving stuff is right there, ready to use:

View attachment 194848
When setting up camp, I take the whole tray, sauté pans, plates, and all and move it right to a nifty little GSI Micro Table I've put on my trailer wheel. Meant for backpackers, with folding legs and two heights, it folds up into a maybe 3" cube the length of the slats for hiking, though I keep it flat with just legs folded up when packed.

The table, with legs folded out to the lowest height, fits snugly on my trailer wheel and under the fender, right behind my galley counter. The TV tray sits right on top, and keeps my pans and plates handy but out of the way, taking up no counter space. I love to cook and experiment with recipes for camp cooking, and am working on a Roaddude Food Cookbook, so like having a clear unobstructed counter on which to spread out, with everything handy.

View attachment 194847

The third tray serves all kinds of purposes around camp and gets moved around a lot; from providing a good work surface that is portable (like below when making solar cable extensions in camp) to moving meals into the van or shore, etc. Also used next to the hammock, keeping books and drinks out of the dirt, etc.

View attachment 194849

I bought the trays knowing I'd use one in the RTT, then saw how handy they were around camp for general use as well, so am glad I splurged the extra couple bucks for two more. They take up no room and weigh practically nothing.

It's probably the single most simple, but efficient and effective, camping hack, especially with the Micro Table, in my whole rig.

Other trailer space-saving gear would definitely include my FRO Cub Packs, Wolf Packs, and Flat Packs. Lightweight, thin-walled though rugged, straight-sided, and can be packed anywhere. From up top on the rack, to on-end in the nose box, to thrown in the cargo bed, they've served me really well.

They are actually South African ammo cases, private branded and sometimes available by other outfits. Both the Wolf Packs and Cub Packs interlock with their own, stack so nicely, and strap down so well. That they are straight-sided is a considerable space saver over containers with slanted sides, and especially over double-walled containers with slanted sides. I just got four more for use in my new van layout.

The Flat Packs, as the name suggests, fold flat when empty, then unfold and zip together. Very handy for occasional storage, or like I have in the nose box below, where I squeeze them into a space not quite large enough for another Cub Pack.

The best price right now on these, because of the free shipping (for over $50, I think?) is from ExploreOutdoorUS.com. They also have the Wolf Packs, but not the Flat Packs. Other places right now have lower prices but charge for shipping, making each pack more expensive than Explore Outdoor.

View attachment 194852

View attachment 194854

And, speaking of space savers that fold flat when not in use, I wish I could find more of these:

View attachment 194858....View attachment 194859

They are from the local grocery chain, though not available any more that I can find. Maine has had a "green" policy for years that charges you for plastic bags at .05 ea or something, if you don't bring your own bags.

These fold flat, measure 10.75" x 14.5" flat, and open up to 10.75" tall x 14.5" wide x 10.25" front to back. They have a stiff bottom that folds down when open and carry a ton of gear. I use them a lot with my trailer.

Wish i could find more, though I may make some that are even more durable from Cordura and tempered hardboard. Anyone interested?
View attachment 194860
I find it a fun challenge to be efficient and save space on long adventures, and have a bunch of other space saving hacks for van and trailer and general camp use, but I've blabbered on long enough :tonguewink:

The tray idea is great . Excellent for trail repairs . I'll have to look for one.

Reactions: Road

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

View attachment 194846

View attachment 194848

View attachment 194847

View attachment 194849

View attachment 194852

View attachment 194854

View attachment 194858....View attachment 194859

View attachment 194860

So much great advice, knowledge and great products here, thanks a TON! Seriously great info. If anybody else decided they too need trays, Amazon has 10 of 'em for $30 in different colors: or a slightly bigger set of 12 for $33: I don't think I need/want 10 or 12 of 'em, but I'm sure I can get a buddy to split it... and I don't have to feel bad using one for greasy parts during a trail repair or something like that.

Following along as I'm just about finished with the build of a teardrop myself. Love the idea of the trays, almost bought several this past weekend. I did pick up an organizer to hang in the galley of my trailer. Hoping it will work well - SUNNERSTA Rail with 4 hooks and 2 containers, white - IKEA
I'll have to check out your teardrop build, love seeing the DIY ones! That hanger looks handy, I'll have to poke around my trailer and see if I have a good spot for it. I think I should have some extra room on the swing-out.

Here's a few of mine:

Swing out BBQ mount arm that I built from some scrap laying around the shop:

Swing out BBQ mount;View attachment 195852View attachment 195853View attachment 195854

Adjustable stove mount made from discarded department store shelf brackets and leftover dzus fastener from an old racecar project:

View attachment 195855View attachment 195856

Solar water tank made from an aluminum dog water tank that I found at Wilco for $30 and had powder coated black:

View attachment 195857
Love the re-use of old parts and scrap, good stuff!

The tray idea is great . Excellent for trail repairs . I'll have to look for one.
That was my thought too, whenever I'm working on something on the trail I'm always looking for a clean, flat spot to set parts/tools. I'm definitely getting a stack of trays!

-TJ

Reactions: Road

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

I'll have to check out your teardrop build, love seeing the DIY ones! That hanger looks handy, I'll have to poke around my trailer and see if I have a good spot for it. I think I should have some extra room on the swing-out.
Here's a link to the build, it's mostly done, but still writing it all up. Hyk Outdoors Teardrop Build

I'm planning to hang the rail behind the sliding doors in our galley. I'm pretty sure we'd have space for two, and wishing I'd bought a second one.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Here's a link to the build, it's mostly done, but still writing it all up. Hyk Outdoors Teardrop Build

I'm planning to hang the rail behind the sliding doors in our galley. I'm pretty sure we'd have space for two, and wishing I'd bought a second one.
Right on, great thread. I shared it with a buddy of mine who dreams of building his own trailer, but probably doesn't have the tools/skills (yet) to do it 110% from scratch.

-TJ

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

Right on, great thread. I shared it with a buddy of mine who dreams of building his own trailer, but probably doesn't have the tools/skills (yet) to do it 110% from scratch.

-TJ
My big issue was space. Being able to build in their shop has been great. Driving there weekends to work has been less great, but it’s a trade off. My wife wouldn’t have liked giving up the garage for the winter. There’s also a huge advantage to the CNC parts as opposed to what I’d do at home.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here is an article I wrote on how to make a side table for your trailer or truck.

I have a couple of those same exact clever two-piece table rails, for attaching to the side of my van for quick-mount work surfaces in camp. I like the bamboo tool box top you found, too.

How cool to see what you've done with yours.

Reactions: mep1811

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My big issue was space. Being able to build in their shop has been great. Driving there weekends to work has been less great, but it’s a trade off. My wife wouldn’t have liked giving up the garage for the winter. There’s also a huge advantage to the CNC parts as opposed to what I’d do at home.
Gotcha. So if you buy their kit everything doesn't come pre-CNC'ed?

Here is an article I wrote on how to make a side table for your trailer or truck.

View attachment 196296
Great write-up. I'm lucky that my trailer gives me a few flat surfaces... but we all know you can never have too many. I might have to set something like that up!

-TJ

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

Gotcha. So if you buy their kit everything doesn't come pre-CNC'ed?
They come with everything, even the frame. Not sure what availability of kits is right now, but they have complete trailers ready to go.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I realized after having my trailer for a while that the counter top surface of the galley is a great place to store items so I picked up a long duffle bag to make it convenient to load and unload from that spot.

-Curtiss

Reactions: tjZ06

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

I realized after having my trailer for a while that the counter top surface of the galley is a great place to store items so I picked up a long duffle bag to make it convenient to load and unload from that spot.

-Curtiss
What sort of stuff do you store on the counter?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we bought a small camp trailer and the walls are bare. shelving isn't a good idea for several reasons and the walls are made from a pressboard that doesn't do well with screws going in and taken out more than a couple times, so i needed a storage solution that would mount to the walls and could be removed and/or changed without messing up the wall. the hack was to install snaps where the base snap will be screwed into the wall and stay there. the wife bought some cheap pouches off amazon and installed the other piece of the snap to it. now we have removable storage and with the pouches, going over bumps won't dislodge items like it would if using shelves and the pouches are much lighter weight and very low profile and can be switched to whatever color or design the wife happens to like at the moment....:grinning:

IMG_0680.JPGIMG_0681.JPGIMG_0683.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and Sparksalot