What about adding a “Women’s Corner”?

• HTML tutorial

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

What about adding a “Women’s Corner”? Not to alienate anyone from the group, men might venture in for help on questions, comment as necessary, and even to direct their female travelers of all ages in to read something that might help them on their trip.

I was thinking sometime along the lines of “Women’s corner” Tips, Tricks, Safety, Rollcall, Meetups, Humor, and Events.

This could include Leave No Trace practices when traveling during your period.

Preparation when traveling as a female.

Safety precautions as a female when traveling solo or in a small group of females, because, let's be honest, nature is not the only thing women have to be cautious about when overlanding.

Humor, like when some of us, ME, try to make the noise, we hear our rig make, and it sounds more like an animal.

Meetups so we can meet other like-minded women.

I would love to contribute this that section as a female. Not sure if any other females would be interested or if the men think it would be a helpful section for other women. I think there are just some things men prefer not to stumble upon in the forum.

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I would second that!! Even as a male. But I bet my wife (member 10322) would also second this idea

Pete

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app
Thank you Pete! I really feel that there are some issues men don’t want to stumble upon in the regular threat. But with a central location, if some men wanted info for their wives, child or female rider, there is a place for it.

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I’ve seen both of those threads, but it doesn’t really support Tips, Tricks, Safety, and Events.

I think it would be helpful for men and women to be able to read and share about these things in a section made for that instead of trying to ask or help with having you period on the road, leave no trace as a female and so on. Men with female kids as going to want to know but not stumble upon it in a general thread.

Pete@maltby_fab#10321

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maltby Wa
Member #

Thank you Pete! I really feel that there are some issues men don’t want to stumble upon in the regular threat. But with a central location, if some men wanted info for their wives, child or female rider, there is a place for it.
I would agree I have been adventuring in my Toyota 4 years and only really getting into it with her as of late and she has lots of questions about longer Adventures that I just don't have the answer for

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: AprilC

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

As a woman, I would rather see these issued discussed openly within the regular topical forum. I think this would encourage better discussion and participation from people who wouldn't typically go to a woman's only area and also open everyones eyes to the particular issues overloading women face. On other sites I have seen women basically banished to their "women's corner" and really get harassed if they dare make a post in the general forum.

Reactions: Road and AprilC

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

As a woman, I would rather see these issued discussed openly within the regular topical forum. I think this would encourage better discussion and participation from people who wouldn't typically go to a woman's only area and also open everyones eyes to the particular issues overloading women face. On other sites I have seen women basically banished to their "women's corner" and really get harassed if they dare make a post in the general forum.
That was my worry, banishment. I would love to see women speak openly about it, but let's be honest, they aren't speaking about it at all. I have searched the site for these topics and I am not finding them. I assume it's because most are not comfortable talking about it, but we are all thinking about it. Even some of the men above agree that these topics are needed, which is really awesome that they too want answers for their female riders, but these topics are not talked about. I see there are a lot of very helpful people in here an I know together we could answer these questions. The reason why I thought a separate section would be better, is so that the topic has its own header for certain issues/questions and ideas, this way it does not get lost in the numerous section of the forums and people can find questions and answers quicker, feel comfortable asking and answering in more detail without being short with little detail. It also keeps people from stumbling onto detailed information that they don't want to read. Not everyone wants to know these things. Just a small area that would support these OB women, there are a lot of us, and this forum seems to almost encompass everything you need to know, except for women's issues when traveling. I hope it happens and I hope if it does, you will contribute to the threads.

Reactions: Road

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I do see your point April. My concern is that by making women's issues a sideline, they will never be accepted as mainstream conversation as they should be. I personally haven't had any questions of that nature that I needed to ask, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate posting it in a regular thread. If people don't want to read it then they can pass it by, as they already do on various topics they have no interest in.

If there were a women's corner I would certainly visit it and participate but I would also encourage posting on the regular threads. There is really only one topic that some may feel needs to be separated. I strongly feel that safety issues should be discussed openly in a regular thread to help build awareness among all OB users. I think that discussing these topics will benefit all OB users.

If anyone has questions, please just ask them, this is a very friendly forum!!

Reactions: AprilC

RoadRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mid-Atlantic region
First Name
Greg
Last Name
G.
Member #

Well said Northernlady. As adults there shouldn’t be topics on overlanding that couldn’t be discussed in an open forum. Your point on becoming alienated is valid. Let’s keep it simple and keep the open dialogue. IMHO

Reactions: RodP

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Excellent idea guys!

From a husband and dad standpoint, I think addressing these issues as a community will encourage our wives to know they are supported and equip us dads for our daughters so they can feel comfortable adventuring. The more we can dialogue about all things adventure, the more we can adventure with those we love and keep them interested in the lifestyle. Knowledge is power, I appreciate our OB community!

Reactions: Northernlady