Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

All i’ve Used to take pictures is a small canon camera. Looking for a good starter camera and lens. I see some packages which look good. Looking for recommendations and also looking for the best place to purchase. Not to many camera stores around me.

Traveler I

Nor Cal
All i’ve Used to take pictures is a small canon camera. Looking for a good starter camera and lens. I see some packages which look good. Looking for recommendations and also looking for the best place to purchase. Not to many camera stores around me.
I am the same way and have always used Canons.
I am currently using the Canon 6D with these two lens :24-105 mm and 16-35 mm. I am going to be buying another lens but mainly for astro photography.

Also if you buy a package (only do it with the body of a camera and the lens). Don't get anything extra unless you really needed it.

I will post some photos of my canon and the lens that I photographed them with.

Traveler I

Nor Cal

Try these websites for camera:

Keh Camera

B & H Photo

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

What's your price range? What are you planning on shooting? Most kits, arent too bad and provide you with the essentials but when talking DSLR or mirrorless, the lens quality is where you'll get the biggest bang for your buck. What ever body you go with, ensure that you invest your research and money into lens. (since they will grow as you upgrade bodies) I personally shoot with a Sony A7 III and love it (use to be a Nikon guy) Wife shoots with a Canon 6D and cant stop giving it props. For review website, I like:

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I have a Canon Rebel SL1 and it does everything my amateur skill needs/wants. There are so many different models now with so many added features. You can find some really good bundle deals which come with accessories and even extra lenses. I really need to learn how to use it better but for what I've done with it so far, its been great and definitely recommended.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I replaced my 6MP Fuji, with a 24MP Nikon D3400. Great little Camera with Interchangeable Lens. 60Frames a Sec at 1080P. Stable, Programmable. Rechargeable Battery. DcG

Reactions: Romeo.Overland

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

That’s the problem, there are so many different types of cameras out there. Looking to mostly do outdoor wildlife pictures. Unfortunately not sure what I can spend until I get things settled with surgery and rehabs. Starting early with research.

Reactions: Romeo.Overland

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

If you can, go out shooting with some friend's gear if they're willing to let you borrow it. For me, it all came down to how the interface worked in my hands. I happen to go Canon but when I initially started looking, I was looking at Nikon. I've always gone used, can get more for the money. I have had good luck through eBay. I started on a Canon Eos 40D with a kit lens. Just recently picked up a 5D mk ii.

My mom uses some Canon Rebel ti something, and I have gotten some great images through that too. Like the others have mentioned, don't get sucked into a huge package kit. If you're traveling a lot, something to look into is mirrorless. My fiancee majored in photography and she is currently using a Fujifilm XPro-2. They're much lighter and a bit smaller. Might lead into shooting more here and there. Good luck.

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

I have used a GOPRO Hero5 Black while I was on deployments around the world, but I know my brother shoots photography professionally and has a Canon camera and uses three different lenses and lighting for all kinds of photography from movement to stills. It'll run you a thousand or two, but it all comes down to what you're planning to do.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

What about something like the Sony HX-90V?

It's not the newest model on the market, but it is small (think smartphone sized), has 18 megapixels and 24-720mm of zoom, I have it and I like it.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Hello,

I've been using point-n-shoots for as long as they've been available. Of course, they've gotten better over the years, but not sure if they're any better than today's top smartphones. I wanted to switch to a DSLR. I bought a Canon Rebel T6 in 2017. I was on a budget. But I knew within 100 shots that it wasn't enough and that I'd outgrow it. I sent it back and saved for something better. I couldn't justify the leap to full frame, so I went with a Canon 80D kit with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lenses. I hardly use the 55-250, but I haven't done much wildlife photography yet. I still have a lot to learn and need to get out more.

As others have said, glass is where noticeable improvement happens. I have a small collection of EF and EF-S lenses. But my recent "L" lens purchases yield nice results. I bought a 100mm f/2.8L macro lens and a 24mm f/1.4L, both refurbished, directly from Canon. These lenses, as well as my other EF lenses, will work on a full frame camera if I opt to upgrade my body. My wife and I are driving to Maine this weekend. I hope to take a lot of photos and to capture some great (for me) images. I borrowed an EF 75-300mm and an old manual 500mm lens for some reach along the beach this weekend. I'm not sure if they'll shoot as good as my "L" lenses, even with the extra reach. But I'll try them out. Again, making the time and getting out is what I really need to get better!

Good Luck!

Scott

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

ive been comparing the Olympus tg-5 and the ricoh wg-6. both are outdoor "rugged" cameras (and I need rugged stuff because I tend to not take care of things like i should) and waterproof. The price is a little up there for both of them. im thinking of going with the ricoh, it seems pretty promising

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

If you want to do wildlife photography, you're going to want a telephoto zoom lens. Best thing you can do is cut your teeth on something inexpensive that'll take a zoom lens, like a Canon Rebel, and get a zoom lens that can do at least 200mm. I've had my Digital Rebel XT and a 75-300mm zoom lens since 2007 and, while they don't really stack up anymore to what you can buy these days for the same money, learning on them was fantastic. You can get a lot more camera for your money now, too.

Quick search on Amazon and you can get a Canon T6 and the exact telephoto I own for $450. Lens alone cost $200 in 2007 when I got it. Find a lens hood for it and it really starts to pop.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
The "best" camera is the one you'll carry and use anytime. Most often, that will be a modern smartphone these days. :sunglasses:

My wife and I are driving to Maine this weekend. I hope to take a lot of photos and to capture some great (for me) images. I borrowed an EF 75-300mm and an old manual 500mm lens for some reach along the beach this weekend. I'm not sure if they'll shoot as good as my "L" lenses, even with the extra reach. But I'll try them out. Again, making the time and getting out is what I really need to get better!
Some shots from our weekend:

Experimenting with a tablet -

Sunrise in York Beach, ME (see Nubble Lighthouse in the distance?) -

I hope to start getting out more for photo shoots...

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
As mentioned previously, I'd start by borrowing a friends or renting one to test out. Then figure out a budget. Even if it means saving for the product. After hurriedly purchasing a kit camera set up from a discount store, I wish I had researched as you are doing now.

Years later, and after much research, I upgraded to a DLSR body (cannon EOS 77D) only and added a lens (sigma 18-300mm). This is my go to set up for 90% of my shots (Landscape, wildlife, night shots, etc). Keep up the research and definitely test some out. It's easy to find "great reviews" and "bad reviews" on almost any brand out there. So test the product. If you're going on a trail run with some folks, ask them if you can try out their setups. Most of us are picky about letting someone use equipment so be gentle. :grimacing:

AHHJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Arizona, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ahhj
Well in my opinion it depends if weight matters or not and if you will be printing these picture on large canvases or not. If you are trying to travel with the camera like i do i love going mirrorless it’s a ton of weight off. I have the fujifilm xt2 which is an awesome camera it’s mirrorless and lighter than most. A lot of my buddies run with Sony a6000s series. But if you are going to be printing these photos i would go full frame dslr like canons and a 50ml or 35ml lens would be a winner. That’s my general tip.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Beautiful pictures, Do you transfer them to a computer? I saw a photo stick somewhere and I can’t remember where I saw it for the I phone. I have the iPhone 8 Plus.003FB282-9644-47D5-8C01-04A1498D56E3.jpeg

Attachments

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The best camera imho is the one you have on you. I have a Cannon t5 and a couple lenses ( I know not the best but hey was free) but I find my self so many times using my phone for photos. I have recently used a Galaxy S7 and now for the last year used a pixel 2 xl. All below photos taken on the pixel 2xl some edited some not. LRM_EXPORT_1106915317887048_20190327_193608324.jpegviewbug_1553734486.jpegIMG_20190327_180503_752.jpegPSX_20190324_132122.jpeg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190327082457060_COVER.jpegIMG_20181104_171850_597.jpegIMG_20181020_131331.jpeg