Western Washington Trip

• HTML tutorial

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

This summer my new fianceé and I are taking time off to do a 10-day trip through Western Washington. We live in Bellingham WA and go to school at Western Washington University and before we graduate and move back to CA we want to explore more of the state. We are going to leave and drive to Slate Peak Road where there is an observation point where they used to look for Russian Spy planes a long time ago. It is also the highest drivable road in WA so we will have the highest truck in the whole state (I think that's pretty sweet). It is also one of the most dangerous roads in WA as well because it is a single lane dirt road that doesn't have guard rails, but we will see about that. Then we are headed to Lake Wenatchee and are staying at one of our favorite campgrounds - Nason Creek. Then we are headed to the Gilford-Pinchot National Forest to find a nice place to camp and be out on our own. On our way out we are stopping by the Apes Cave to check it out. Then we are headed to Fort Stevens to check out the shipwreck, explore the fort and maybe cruise along the beach. After that, we are headed to the Olympic National Park and are going to find another dispersed campsite to enjoy the scenery. Our last campsite is Deer Park, it has some of the best views of the Olympics and Canada. It's 1,258 miles and quite a few are on dirt which is something I am SUPER excited for. This is going to be our first big overland/camping/adventure trip ever so it's a big deal!

I've also used this as an excuse to buy those expensive mods that I couldn't justify before... hello Fox Coilovers and new HD UCA's. I also am ordering a buttload of new camping gear!

Attachments

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Looks like a fun trip. A lot more interesting than touring around Iowa where I live. lol

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That sounds fantastic! We were out that way for 43 days last fall, but didn't get to nearly all the places we want to see. (See our trip log in the trips forum)

Where is Deer Creek? that looks beautiful, and somewhere I'd like to find on our next trip. With our daughter in college in Seattle, I'm sure we'll have a few more chances to explore the area!

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Sounds great! The ape caves a pretty cool, I've been there a few times and they're always fun. I think I'm going to add slate peak road to my to do list. I haven't heard of it before.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

@Steve Deer Park Is in the Olympic National Park right in Port Angeles. I attached a picture of the area on a map. There's also a TON of forest service roads that you can drive throughout the park and camp wherever you want (as long as you are 100 feet from any water source). Camping in western WA is so much better, it is much prettier than Eastern, it's just a shame Eastern is so much warmer! I will post back on here once we complete the trip in early August and I'll have more pictures and info for you.

@roamingtimber I actually found it via "The Fast Lane Truck" YouTube Channel, they took a stock JK Rubicon up it. I had never heard of it before but it definitely seems like something that should be experienced. After the trip, I'll let you know if its worth the drive over. I haven't been to Apes Cave but it looks super cool from what I have seen.

Attachments

Reactions: Steve