Rank I

Enthusiast I

Esslingen, Germany
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Hello everyone!

I hope that everyone is doing well. My wife and I are looking to travel down to the Western Alps in June/July.

Does anyone have updated information about the routes, specifically Fort Jafferau and the surrounding area?

Has anybody traveled there recently or is planning a trip soon?

Any current information would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Jim,

Haven´t been there recently. To plan a trip through the Alps, I strongly recommend the well known Denzel Alps Guide Book Denzel-Verlag, Alpenstraßen, Alpenpässe, Motorrad-Touren, Wanderwege Now available in the 28th edition. The guide book contains numerous route descriptions, map sketches and route assessments according to difficulty. It is written in German, but maybe it helps you?

And you could check also the website Alpenpässe, Schotterpisten und andere Ziele (nicht nur) für Motorradfahrer - Alpen-Motorrad-Guide for information about the passroads in general and also (current) information about possible roadblocks here Wintersperre und Verkehrslage Alpenpässe - Alpen-Motorrad-Guide (it is in German language, but I guess, a translator will do it).

The Alps are really a beautiful place. Even if it is paved throughout today, I would also include the "Route des Grandes Alpes" (or at least parts of it). It really is one of the dream routes in Europe and offers wonderful mountain panoramas and fun on the curves. The route connects the region around Lake Geneva and the Côte d'Azur on about 700km and is thus also a great connection to the south or for the way home from the Alps to the north. The highest point, by the way, is the Col de l'Iseran (=highest drivable pass in the Alps) at 2,790m. As paper maps for this region I recommend the Michelin maps No. 523 and 527 in scale 1:200.000.

Probably you will often be above 2,000m and drive different, high-altitude passes. A continuous driving of the region is due to the altitude usually possible from about mid-June until October. In any case, you should be equipped for rapidly changing weather and varying temperatures.

Enjoy!

Björn

Last edited:

Mojave Flyer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Esslingen, Germany
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Thanks Bjorn. That is really helpful. I have the book you referenced, but had not seen the website. I use google translate for the book and it seems to work pretty well. The pictures and maps are the best part.

Would love to hear more about what routes to take in the region, I am really interested in the old military forts.

I would be interested if anyone is planning a trip there over the next few months.

Thanks,
Jim

Mojave Flyer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Esslingen, Germany
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Hey Bjorn. For the route up to Fort Jafferau, it looks like you can travel from Savoulx or from Bardonecchia. Is there a route that is better than the other?

From the books about the two routes, it looks like there is a tunnel but I am unsure where the tunnel is located.

My wife doesn't like tunnels. Is there a route up to Fort Jafferau from E70 that does not include driving through the tunnel?

I will be traveling in a 2004 BMW X5 that has reasonable ground clearance with off road tires.

Thanks again.

Jim

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hey Bjorn. For the route up to Fort Jafferau, it looks like you can travel from Savoulx or from Bardonecchia. Is there a route that is better than the other?

From the books about the two routes, it looks like there is a tunnel but I am unsure where the tunnel is located.

My wife doesn't like tunnels. Is there a route up to Fort Jafferau from E70 that does not include driving through the tunnel?

I will be traveling in a 2004 BMW X5 that has reasonable ground clearance with off road tires.

Thanks again.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I think there is also another possibility from Salbertrand. Not definetly sure about this. Will clarify that with a friend of mine who knows the area very very well!

Till later,
Björn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
As far as I could find out, it is about the tunnel "Galleria Monte Seguret", which was temporarily closed and is located on the route from Salbertrand to Fort Jafferau. The route from Savoulx to Fort Jafferau should (also according to comments on alpenrouten.de) be closed for motorvehicles (only allowed for bicycles?!) You can see the no trespassing sign on google streetview - check it out: Google Maps

On the route from Bardoneccia should be no tunnel, but the last leg should be quite steep. This is of course a subjective assessment. The best thing is to read the comments (if necessary with a translation program): on Alpenpässe, Schotterpisten und andere Ziele (nicht nur) für Motorradfahrer - Alpen-Motorrad-Guide and form the own assessment. It is important anyway to read the most recent comments and get current information because every year - especially after winter - the track conditions and general conditions there change. Please also inform yourself about track closures (sometimes the passage in the alps is forbidden on certain days/ times on certain routes).

Hope this helps you a bit. Maybe some other OB Europe members will get in touch. I'm sure there are a few who know the area.

Enjoy planning!

Cheers, Björn

Mojave Flyer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Esslingen, Germany
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Thanks for the update. It looks like the route from Bardoneccia is only open on Wednesday and Saturday? So I guess that means there is no wild camping along the route?

What are the best spots to wild camp in the area?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Regarding transit times, I saw that someone asked a question on the linked internet portal. I think that was you?! Super. I hope someone can answer that up to date. We have the beginning of June and there are again some on the road in the Alps who can answer that for sure.

In Europe we have partly restrictive rules concerning wild camping. As far as I know, this is also not allowed in Italy (with exceptions in various regions, e.g. also in Piedmont). Therefore, it makes sense to inform yourself locally about the current regulations. The Alps are a beautiful natural area and at the same time very fragile and extremely heavily used for tourism. It would be nice if everyone would abide by the rules and show consideration for nature, the environment and fellow human beings, so that we can continue to enjoy this super beautiful mountain region for a long time to come...

smokybob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lombardia, Monza e Brianza, Italy
First Name
Mauro
Last Name
Solcia
Member #

Regarding wild camping in Italy, it's a region by region ruling.
Basics it's not allowed as previously posted, but in piedmont if you are over 2000m in altitude it's allowed as long as you don't drive inside fields because their are either a national park or used for cow and sheeps to feed.

Sometimes there are openings at the side of the roads/ tracks which are cleared out of rocks and vegetations which can be used to camp (except those where the track has a cliff on the other side... Those are there to allow vehicles to cross each other... Trust me I've seen traffic jams because people were camping there )

As for the fort, most camp at night just out of the fort.

Was planning to go there last year... But you know...