mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I picked up a Westcott designs hitch mounted tire carrier for my 2013 200 Series Land Cruiser.

Jeff Westcott personally supervised the fitting of the carrier and explained how it worked.

The carrier is strong and rattle free. The D/S tray can be removed and a second spare tire can be fitted . There are mounting points for three Rotopax.

There is a built in fold down table that will be very handy while camping. The tray can fit four jerry cans or a large cooler or anything you can mount to it.

Since I have a 40 gallon aux fuel tank I don't need to carry extra fuel anymore but the tray will come in handy for carrying water.

I also looked at the Wlico Off Road tire carrier. The Wico has everything on one swing out arm. The cargo rack is mounted over the tire. That requires anything to be lifted over your head to get up there. Not very easy with a heavy cooler or cargo box. Also hard t get into without a step ladder.
The gas/water cans are also mounted high up.
The rear window is also blocked.

The Wescott carrier has a cradle the tire fits into. Due to the low height, it is easy to get the tire in the cradle. One method is to roll the tire over one of the support arms into the cradle.

I'll be giving it a real world test the beginning on the Camino del Diablo.

Attachments

Reactions: EXPO_D1