Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

Hey gang,
I'm glad I found this site. Still getting used to the layout.

I belong to an offroad club in Grand Rapids Mi. I've been trail riding and visiting ORV parks with my Wranglers for a few years. As the miles have gone by, I've found I really enjoy exploring the Michigan Upper Peninsular. The UP.

I've been camping almost all over the UP. I try to stay in the dirt and only come out of the woods for ice, gas and more steaks. I've broken the UP into quadrants and this year I'm exploring the SW area. Iron Mt, Porcupines Mt, Lake in the Cloud areas. Bear country! I leave in a couple weeks for 9 days up there, should be a blast. Just 2 rigs going this year.

I've been using a couple different nav systems to track my trails. So if someone's looking for places to cliff jump into a waterfall, ghost towns, old mining ruins, history, with some cool trails and views, let me know.

Here's a couple pics from last year. Look forward to getting to know you and fighting off the bugs in the woods!20170613_141302.jpg 20170614_110231.jpg 20170614_175836.jpg YUN00007.jpg 20170614_175909.jpg

Mickey

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

El Centro California
Member #

Makes me homesick. Stationed in El Centro, CA, wife and I are from the Grand Rapids area...We love the UP as well! Last time I was in MI I took my last rig- a '97 geo tracker 4 door tin top from Florida to the UP and did some serious offroad treks. We are heading home this year end of July. No UP visit this time, but driving and camping from California to GR. Now own a '95 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and love the new platform for my new overland build. Any time you want to talk about the mitten, or have a great experience overlanding UP there, I'm here waiting to hear about it- we miss that state...

Reactions: Fleamac

Adam Kiddle

Rank 0

Contributor I

Jeep rigs look great man. I live in Marquette and going up to the girlfriends camp just south of the harbor. We’ll be headed out towards high rock Sunday. Would love to know the areas you have intel on. First year getting to use my RTT on our 03 Nissan Frontier and we’re eager to get into the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Fleamac

Fleamac

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

Makes me homesick. Stationed in El Centro, CA, wife and I are from the Grand Rapids area...We love the UP as well! Last time I was in MI I took my last rig- a '97 geo tracker 4 door tin top from Florida to the UP and did some serious offroad treks. We are heading home this year end of July. No UP visit this time, but driving and camping from California to GR. Now own a '95 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and love the new platform for my new overland build. Any time you want to talk about the mitten, or have a great experience overlanding UP there, I'm here waiting to hear about it- we miss that state...
Hey!
First off thanks for doing what you do. And the Mrs. too.
Secondly, a Tracker in the UP?! Alone? Wow!

There's places up there that I can't wait to experience. Should be fun. DM me.

Safe travels back this way!

Fleamac

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

Jeep rigs look great man. I live in Marquette and going up to the girlfriends camp just south of the harbor. We’ll be headed out towards high rock Sunday. Would love to know the areas you have intel on. First year getting to use my RTT on our 03 Nissan Frontier and we’re eager to get into the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Hi.
Here's a trail I did last year. It's called Cliff Drive Trail. There's a campsite up on the cliff.
There's also a video on YT, not mine. I hope you can get these files. They'll open with any GPX viewer or GPS.

Use DNR's site to find some routes. There's lots of them. On Bill Nichols trail, there's 3 trestle bridges. Wooden at the top. Very high up. Kinda spooky.
You can stay in the dirt all the way up the Keweenaw. Some's boring, some's pretty cool.

This other GPX file is a waypoint/point of interest out near the end of the peninsular. It's just a short 'tight and muddy' trail.

Have fun and let me know if you can get these files.

Attachments