Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
NC500 Pic.jpg

THE ULTIMATE ROAD TRIP

The new scenic route showcasing fairy-tale castles, white sand beaches and historical ruins - Scotlands answer to Route 66.
The NC500 starts in the northern city of Inverness, weaves along the west coast to Applecross and then northwards towards the towns of Torridon and Ullapool. From there, you'll venture to some of the most northerly coastal points in Scotland, passing by Caithness and John o' Groats before heading south again through Dingwall and finally back to Inverness although I would recommend you do this trip in an anti clockwise rotation so the views and scenery get better and better the further you get round.

I would also recommend if time permits adding in Skye as a tag on route.

FAST FACTS
  • Distance: 516 miles
  • Trip length: at least 5 - 7 days is recommended.
  • Accommodation: book well in advance - make sure you consider camping as an option. There are some opportunities to wild camp on beaches and by lochs.

Anyone interested in doing the NC500 in Scotland here is a good base route to customise and help you start your planning your own trip.

7 Day North Coast 500 Camping Itinerary - Finding the Universe

You will find more information about the route here:-

/www.visitscotland.com/see-do/tours/driving-road-trips/north-coast-500/

I have also attached a gpx file to assist and a gpx file for our trip to Skye and lower section of the NC500.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

Reactions: Terry Pickens