West Coast Envy

• HTML tutorial

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I have only been looking into overlanding for about a year or so and I can't help but feel envious of all of the open terrain and endless trails that there seems to be west of the Mississippi. I feel like I have done a lot of research around where to drive on the east coast, specifically around TN, and I have not even begun to touch on them but seeing the photos of redwoods, rugged coasts, and sprawling deserts is starting to make me wish I could move.

Does anyone know the cure for this envy? Are there more trails and landscapes that I have not found out about?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
It is definitely a different type of terrain here in the southwest. The one thing that sucks here is the heat, starting yesterday we will be in the 100+ degree temps for a while and it won't stop until late August early September. Winter is the best time to travel over here.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
There's TONS of places to go in TN! Just head east and you've got the Smokies! I haven't been there yet, but It's on my list of places to go.

When it gets too hot, go up in elevation and it cools down significantly.

Just remember that we have vastly different terrain in all areas of the country. It's part of what makes this country so great! Go explore what you have!

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

There's TONS of places to go in TN! Just head east and you've got the Smokies! I haven't been there yet, but It's on my list of places to go.

When it gets too hot, go up in elevation and it cools down significantly.

Just remember that we have vastly different terrain in all areas of the country. It's part of what makes this country so great! Go explore what you have!
Is there a database of driving trails in the Smokies? I have done some of the hiking trails and I have driven the pavement roads but never off road.

BTW Dananc I grew up on T.I. just south of Clearwater Beach. I miss the seafood and the fishing but definitely not the heat!

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Hey that's cool that you know my neck of the swamp! It's getting hot here and I'm ready to go up to the Appalachian mountains for some reprieve.

I'm sure that there are trails available I'd just look on Google to be honest. There's a group of people in the Southeast that just did a trip through the Smokies.

You can send a group message to the members around the smokies and ask them if they know of any good trails. Group messages are available in the member map.

Also, I found this for you: http://www.trails.com/tennessee#lat=35.65729624809628&lon=-84.451904296875&zoom=7&m=outdoors

Hope that helps!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Haha right now it is 106 degrees with 7% humidity. We have not even hit the hot stuff yet. Bloody noses & dry skin flaking off all the fun things about Phoenix.

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

I just got back last night from TN, did some wheeling in Pisgah and Cherokee National Forests and also the northeast end of the Smokies in Cosby. Incredible overlanding and dispersed camping. Also check out www.outdoorsinthesmokies.com, Dan is great guy and extremely patient "instructor". Took my truck way past any limits I would have been comfortable doing on my own, his property is unreal with 4x4 trails, mountain bike trails and camping close to the National Park and Appalachian Trail. He's got a saloon, pavilion, outdoor showers, port-o-johns, rustic cabin, etc. All built and excavated himself and the 4x4 trails are awesome...

Reactions: ckkphoto