• HTML tutorial

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I will be going with my wife and 3 boys to West Africa for a 6 month stint at a mission hospital beginning in April 2016.  My wife is the medical professional, taking a leave-of-absence from the hospital here to go work in vastly different conditions.  I will be on-site to assist in any way I can - from replacing light bulbs, to loading / unloading containers,  perform surgeries and helping around the workshop, garage and airfield.  As well, I'll have 3 curious and active boys (currently 11, 8 and 6 years old) to keep out of trouble - or to help me get into trouble!  I've been there previously, but it will be the first time for the rest of the family.

We're looking to buy / rent a 4WD vehicle while there to head out into the countryside and see some of the scenery and take advantage of our time there.  It might be our only chance to visit part of Africa and it would be a shame to be bound to one small area.

I won't be able to fully outfit the vehicle (if we buy one) for such a short period of time, but we'll have some gear we'll be able to throw inside and on top to get out and explore.  Most of the bigger 4WD rental agencies are in the south of Africa (SA, Botswana, Namibia, etc.) or in the east (Kenya and Tanzania), so the distance might be too great to make rental feasible.  Also, the condition of some of the vehicles for sale in the western region can be a little questionable.

So, my first (long shot) question is - does anyone know of a place in Ghana, Togo, Benin or Burkina Faso where I could potentially find any good 4WDs (Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Hilux, Patrol, Pajero, etc.) for sale?  A website, phone number or the like would be a good start as plans start to come together.

Thanks for any input.
And since we all like photos...

Land Rover was packed full of people, so why not hang off the back!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you for sharing the awesome pictures! I'm not familiar with the area, but we've got another member in that area I'm going to reach out to!

-M

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Thanks, Michael.  I've got lots of time - and can't really do much until we get there - but a couple of leads would be helpful.